1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by makman, Mar 28, 2004.

1. makman

makman Legend

Dec 1, 2002
    I have to arder a monitor tomorrow, and my choices are limited. I can get a:

Dell 1703 ultrasharp LCD

Dell 1901 ultrasharp LCD

Dell 21" p1130 fd

The viewing area of the p1130 is ~19.8 inches, slighlty bigger than the 1901. I am sure it is huge. I bring up the 1703 because it has the same resolution as the 1901, but a smaller pixel pitch. I wonder if it is sharper?

I will be using it for photoshop mostly, but I am an amateur! No games.

I have an NEC LCD that really changes brightness with minimal change in viewing angle up or down. This is bothersome and it worries me about getting another LCD.

Thanks for your help!

Mitch

2. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    I don't much input, as I don't own an LCD, but in CRT monitors, smaller dot pitch is "sharper". CRT monitors will have higher contrast & brightness than LCD. However I believe they have made improvements on LCDs. There should be some "contrast ratio" specs for the LCD models that might help you decide.

3. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I use both.

For data work and internet stuff an LCD is fine but for Photoshop artwork I need a color calibrated CRT. I use a Sony 20" E540 box. Not too big but the color can be calibrated to exactly match a color printer. My LCD screens both lack good reds and rich yellows and saturated greens. Blues on LCD seem fine.

4. makman

makman Legend

Dec 1, 2002
    I am told the dell p1130 is a reboxed Sony G520. I think I will go with it.

Thanks

Mitch