1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monk series finale

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by n3ntj, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1 of 17
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    So what did everyone think about the Monk series finale last night?

2. Dec 5, 2009 #2 of 17
    Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I liked it .It was okay.A bit corny at the end.Then again,the whole series was a bit corny.I loved all those references to the end they slid in there.

3. Dec 5, 2009 #3 of 17
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Well, they left a lot of room for everyone to come back for a reunion show when their money runs out.
    The show was well done but the writing has been going done hill for the last couple of years-everyone was tired a break will mend that.

4. Dec 5, 2009 #4 of 17
    ClerkDante

ClerkDante Mentor

Sep 20, 2002
    Meh, it was mediocre at best. This show really stopped being paticularly good 3-4 seasons ago.

Also, am I the only one that is kinda bothered by the resolution of Trudy's murder? They hyped this season as "Monk finally figures it out", yet they don't even sniff it until the final 2 episodes. Make up a new character, fabricate a last minute reason, etc. I'm really disappointed that after 8 seasons of build, Trudy's death had nothing to do with anything that had been teased over the years, inparticular "Dale The Whale"?

Not to mention just how "tidy" everything was in the end. All you needed was Starship Trooper to propose to Natalie and it would have been the biggest, wrapped in a bow, happy little ending ever.

5. Dec 6, 2009 #5 of 17
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I posted something very similar in the thread over on AVSForum. As a typical Monk episode it was fine... and if that's how he solved any other crime, it would fit the mold of the series.

But since it was Trudy's murder... it really should have involved plot threads and characters that have been there from the beginning.

Naah... they'd also need to flash-forward and show Julie (Natalie's daughter) getting married after college AND show Trudy's daughter also being married and having children. That would just about complete the tidy ending :)

'course they could also drop a inference that maybe Natalie's new beau (who was the best friend of her husband who died prior to her character introduction on the show) actually was intrumental in killing her husband to get Natalie all to himself years later... and maybe reveal that Julie was secretly his daughter too. :eek2:

6. Dec 6, 2009 #6 of 17
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The picture of Monk as the creepy stalker obsessive "step-father?" was a bit strange. The only relation Adrian has to the woman is that he married her mother after her mother thought she was dead.

The woman seemed to openly accept the double murder wait twelve years suicide of her mother, midwife and father as if it had nothing to do with her life.

I've been solving the cases faster than Monk for the past couple of years (although in his defense, the writers made sure to put all the clues I needed in focus and a real life Adrian would have to pick them out of the noise). I seem to remember harder cases and more curveballs in the early years.

But it was a good series and it ran it's course. There is only so much one can do with simple characters without ruining the premise or arcing the story into some completely different premise (Monk marrying Natilie, for example).

Status quo with Monk accepting his life. Not a bad ending.

7. Dec 6, 2009 #7 of 17
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It was a little weird, but still an emotionally satisfying finale that left room for a future movie or two.

8. Dec 6, 2009 #8 of 17
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    From the female perspective, I liked seeing the lives all tied up nicely. At least they had done the captain earlier, and had introduced Natalie's boyfriend a bit earlier as well. So only Randy was out of the blue as well as Monk's step-daughter.

But I agree about throwing the whole Trudy mystery together at the last minute. I remember all those Dale the Whale visits and references and allusions. In the end the killer is no-one from any past show? Doesn't make sense.

9. Dec 6, 2009 #9 of 17
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Not totally out of the blue. Randy and Sharona seemed to be becoming interested in each other in her return episode. He was squiring her around at the end of the episode, and I thought at the time the writers were setting up a future for them as the series ends. And so he managed to find a job in NJ near her.

10. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Very true. But what I was referring to was the Police Chief part. That seemed very out of the blue and sort of absurd as they always portray him as a bumbling, inept fool.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    He's been more of a bumbler in the past season or two than he was when first introduced. Kind of annoying ... they went over the top. The PA problem in the final episode just capped off creating Randy the idiot. And now he's a chief? Sorry ... that's jumping the shark.

Wasn't the actual killer introduced in a previous episode we just didn't know who put him up to it? The man who ordered the killing(s) was introduced here.

My wife questions the presence of Trudy's gift in previous episodes. She wants to see it somewhere before it became relevant. (It is a shame he didn't open in 12 years ago ... it would have saved a lot of grief.)

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Whatever criticism one may have of the finale, 9.4 million viewers watched the episode on Friday. As the broadcast networks abandoned Friday, apparently some 10 million viewers were waiting for something to watch, and waiting, and waiting.... And then they turned to the cable channels.:rolleyes:

13. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yeah, what about the man with the 6 fingered hand? That was introduced years ago and didn't make it into the finale to explain how this was linked to her death.

14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    6-fingered guy was taken care of already in a previous episode at some point where he was involved in another bombing. I forget which episode it was, but they already caught him... he just didn't say who he was working for (I don't think he knew).

15. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    He was taken care of in the 2008 two parter-that was rebroadcast on firday afternoon during the run-up to the 9:00 pm timeslot. (monk was framed for shooting him) and then Stoltermyer (fake) shot monk and allowed him to escape to capture the courpt sherif.

16. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    :) Well, my comment to my wife was "Heaven help [whatever town it was], New Jersey!!"

17. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Summit, New Jersey.

It was a little shout-out, because that's actually the location of the "Monk" writers' office -- yes, it's very odd to have a show writers' office so far away from where the show is actually produced (i.e., Los Angeles).