1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Monthly Cost Comparison - Genie connected to 4 HD TV's vs 1 HD DVR and 3 HD Receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by John R. Metzger, Oct 13, 2013.

1. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    I am wondering how my monthly bill would change if I ordered a Genie to be connected to my 4 HD TV's.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well if you want to watch different things on all four TVs at the same time, you will need C31/41 RVU clients on three TVs. there is no price difference on either set up as far as fees are concerned

3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    What do you have now and how is it hooked up now? Without knowing that we can't even begin to really say how it will compare.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

4. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    I currently have an HD DVR and 3 conventional HD receivers. I believe each is wired to a multswitch in the basement.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Your monthly cost shouldn't change. Ask for a Genie and 2 clients and keep the HD DVR for additional storage and backup.

The upfront cost could be as low as $0. The multiswitch will be changed to a SWiM-8 LNB.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I could also be as high as $596 + installation depending on the TS's relationship with DIRECTV.

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I haven't seen many posts in that range unless they've bought it themselves.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I currently have an HD DVR and 3 conventional HD receivers. I believe each is wired to a multswitch in the basement.
    which specific DVR do you have model number wise? If it's a HR20 I'd work it to get a full genie system and keep the HR20 during just all then call a week latter and deactivate the HR20 and store it as a backup. They won't want I back as long as your install doesn't call for swapping it. You will gain from what you have no going full genie. You lose nothing going full genie at all. And it's just easier.

9. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    Thanks to everyone for your help. I called and ordered today. Install will take place on Saturday. I was eligible for a free upgrade so am paying nothing for the equipment and installation. As was stated above I will be billed an additional $3.00 a month. Of course I will have a 2 year commitment but I wasn't planning on leaving. I don't think our local cable system which is a very small system even offers HD. {At least they didn't when I last checked.) I discussed keeping the HD DVR with the agent I spoke to and she went through the pros and cons of keeping it. I finally decided to go with the Genie and the 3 clients. AGAIN, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    PLease think about giving up the HDDVR. you might regret it later.....

11. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    I realize the current HD DVR would give me additional recording space but my understanding is it could "communicate" with the genie but not the clients. I don't feel I record enough that the extra hard drive space is a real factor. What would the other advantages of keeping the HD DVR be?

12. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    It does communicate with the clients. It is a virtual genie. Does what the Genie does except PIP.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And gives you 2 extra tuners instead of robbing a tuner from the Genie. Same monthly cost.

And backup. . . if your genie is down, your clients are useless.

14. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    Thanks for all the advice. I just phoned and changed my order to 1 Genie, 2 Genie Clients and keeping my current DVR.

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks for all the advice. I just phoned and changed my order to 1 Genie, 2 Genie Clients and keeping my current DVR.
    Awesome. Glad you made the right choice

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk