1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Monthly Reimbursement for New Owner Purchased Receivers???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by flexpackman, Aug 21, 2013.

1. flexpackman

flexpackman AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    To set the stage....

I made my yearly call to DirecTV today to see what kind of discounts I could get on Sunday Ticket, Red Zone, etc. Got another good deal IMHO, but on to the topic.

I inquired about getting a Genie upgrade and the CSR said no problem, with a 2 year re-up....

Now I've been a subscriber since the beginning and been in the CSR carousel many times, mostly with Retention, and in this case also. But this CSR appeared to have her stuff together!

I asked the question about would I get an HR34 or HR44. She said she would put it in the Work Order notes that the customer desired an HR44, but no guarantees. I know, we'll see. But the local DirecTV depot is 2 miles from my house, so I know where they live...

NOW, I asked if I was to purchase an HR44 on my own, if I could get a credit against my account for the purchase price. She informed me that in the last 90 days that their policy had changed and could no longer do that. She told me they had reverted back to allowing "owned" receivers and not charging the monthly DVR cost for a customer owned receiver.

I said "Excuse Me", are you sure? She said absolutely and that she had done a few already.

Searched the forum on "Lease" topics and have seen nothing about this.

So.... Fact or Fiction anyone?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope, regardless of "own" or "lease" status of receiver, you must pay a monthly fee of $6.00 a month

1 person likes this.
  3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And they never stopped allowing owned receivers on the account.

4. flexpackman

flexpackman AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I agree on this point as I had one up to two years ago still owned.

To add to what was discussed after the CSR's statement. I responded "So I would basically be getting $72 a year (12 x $6) to recoup my investment in a HR44". CSR's response, "Yes".

I think that's where the coffee must have run out....

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    but the TS said the CSR informed him that DirecTV was allowing "owned" receivers in lieu of the monthly fee, which is not accurate

6. flexpackman

flexpackman AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    I suppose I should have made the Topic "Monthly Reimbursement for New Owner Purchased Receivers"...

I can't change it, maybe a Mod can.

My point was not that the "monthly" fee is being waived forever.

Others in the past have have purchased a new receiver since the lease program went into effect and if you found the "right" CSR, could get the cost of the receiver reimbursed by putting a credit on your account for the full price all at one time.

Purchase a DVR for say, $199, and a $199 credit would be put on your account.

What the CSR said she could "only" do now is credit me $6 a month till the $199 purchase price was reimbursed.

Sorry for any confusion from the original post...

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    And with regard to the HR44, there are extremely few owned units in existence. I'm certain you will not find one on any public site (ebay, craigslist, etc.). If you purchase one from a 3rd party vendor such as Solid Signal, it is still a leased receiver. I don't know if you can purchase one to own from DirecTV or not, but if you can it will cost considerably more than the "lease" price. Only way to find out for sure would be to call and ask, probably the access card department.

8. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    To be clear (and then confusing), there is no receiver fee. The $6 monthly charge is a TV fee, as in "per TV" (except the first TV, which is "included"). This is pure semantics based on legal advice, to avoid issues with programming providers, the FCC and imagined demons in the future. If a receiver is connected to the account (via access card), then there is a $6 fee (as mentioned above by ped48). There are no standard exceptions--however, there are ever-changing promotions for which customers can sometimes qualify. To end, there isn't a $6/month-discount-until-your-receiver-is-paid-off-promo that I've ever heard of.

Unless the CSR manipulated the system in some way (which we will not discuss), it is entirely possible that you've been misled. Unless you place a PURCHASE order (vs LEASED) by calling 800-531-5000--or purchase a receiver directly from someone who already did the same thing--receivers, including the HR44, are considered leased (even if you "buy" it from a dealer--as mentioned above by peds48 and carl6). Purchase orders are a slightly different animal, for customers with unusual/unique situations, who are willing to pay hefty up-front charges in return for convenience and flexibility. It would be more than $199.

Best is to check your account online for changes/adjustments/modifications, or call 800-531-5000 and attempt to confirm with a supervisor.

Good luck!

-=K=-

9. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    This is not correct in any way. And for a genie the best you can hope for is leased without a commitment for $399 with no discounts.
    Still pay all monthly DVR/HD/MRV fees.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Access cards are a moot point now since we have RVU TV and Genie minis with no access card and they have the same TV fee

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That is not completely true. I would imagine people can still find a HR21 Pro available from some site out there. Those were all considered owned.

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That is not true either. There are accounts out there with owned Genie's on them.

13. Milkman

Milkman Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I don't understand the whole lease/own discussion anyway. At the end of the day who really cares??? There are only two benefits to having owned equipment that I see:
    • If you need to deactivate a receiver you can do so without sending it back
    • You aren't under contract if you get one
    Both of these seem like minimal reasons to even be having this discussion. NOW, if buying a receiver avoided the $6.00 per month charge??? Well NOW we are talking.

I am no lawyer, but I cannot imagine this is true. If that was the case are you saying that the providers are getting some of that $6.00?? I am pretty sure they aren't, which makes it simply a money grab for D*, bottom line.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    This is not accurate either. The $6 fee is per receiver/client and not per TV as you can have multiple receivers/clients connected to one TV. The first receiver is included in the monthly programming cost. Just to be clear, a TV can have a client built into it if it is an RVU-enabled TV, so I guess you can technically say that in that case the fee is for the TV.

- Merg

15. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    That is not true either. There are accounts out there with owned Genie's on them.

Ok, yes, I have one.

I suppose I should have said "If you are not a DirecTV employee, when purchasing one from DirecTV the best you can hope for is...."

Better?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Also I dont think that even saving the $6.00 a month is a good reason to "buy" a receiver, as you would still come behind after the 2 years in which you will qualify for a "free" upgrade. NOW if you save the $6.00 PLUS the ARS of $25.00, then and only then, we are talking......

17. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I still have three owned HRs on my account. They are not the original receivers having been replaced over the years under the PP. I confirm their owned status with the Access Card Team periodically. Maybe someday when DirecTV has no more refurbed older receivers and I have a failure they'll send me a Genie. ;)

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    One can only hope!

19. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Both posts about the $6 fee are a little bit off. The $6 fee isn't a receiver fee or a TV fee it is a mirroring fee. They charge $6/month to mirror your channel package to another device, whether that device is a DirecTV receiver of some sort (leased or owned both get the fee) or an RVU client.

That is why I strongly disagree with DirecTV charging that same $6 fee for RVU clients past the 3rd one. You can't mirror the programming to more than 3 clients at any one time, so to me they should not be charging for more than three of them.

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Because of the RVUs DirecTV stopped calling it a mirror fee. since the RVU dont actually mirror the programming. The are accessing a tuner from the Genie. in order to mirror, you need an access card to mirror to.