1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

morgan murphy media (WKBT, WISC, KXLY, KVEW) and dish network in dispute.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mariah2014, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Stand Tall Dish! Dump 'em if you have to!

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    So basically we're looking at two ABC affiliates in Eastern Washington State and two CBS affiliates in Southern Wisconsin.

Apparently they are asking for 60¢± a month more for their Washington Disney-owned-ABC-broadcast-network affiliate stations. And they are saying: "It is difficult for us to understand why DISH Network will pay some national cable channels up to 7 times more than what KVEW 42 ABC is requesting."

Interesting. The "some national cable channels" are Disney-owned ESPN.

It just keeps looking like we might as well not have "free" OTA locals.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Get Congress to ban retrans fees and all this nonsense goes away.

4. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    It's hard for us to get congress to ban the retrans fees when they are getting so much $$$ from the media conglomerates.

The video messages from the GMs at these stations are the same. They keep harping on that they employ xxx number of people and have a local commitment. The reality is that most of the retrans fees probably go to the nets and not to their salaries. When the retrans fees were enacted, the nets kept raising the costs of their affiliation agreements.

5. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Following is the e-mail that I received today, and my CBS channel isn't available via satellite. A screen when you tune to that channel has salient points from the e-mail.

Dear Charise,

As you may
    know, Morgan Murphy Media, the owner of WKBT, your local CBS affiliate, has
    blocked this station from DISH customers. DISH has been negotiating with the
    station in good faith and offers the best value in home entertainment by
    protecting you from such unnecessary price increases.

Morgan Murphy Media
    has demanded an outrageous rate increase of 200%. While it claims to be
    only asking for pennies per day, its demand would be like charging $12 for a
    gallon of milk and then saying it is only pennies more per sip. The reality is
    that Morgan Murphy is demanding millions of dollars more over the life of a
    contract.

DISH has negotiated agreements with hundreds of stations in the
    past year, and many just this month, without interruption of service to our
    valued customers. We know with certainty that the rates we are offering are fair
    and in line with the marketplace. The bottom line is that we are open to a fair
    and reasonable increase in Morgan Murphy’s fees.

In fact, DISH has made
    two specific offers to avoid this disruption of service, including:

-Offering to unconditionally extend while we continue to negotiate

-Offering to pay the same fees our primary competitors pay

Morgan Murphy
    flatly refused all of these offers. The decision to withhold programming rests
    100% with Morgan Murphy Media.

It is obvious that Morgan Murphy is
    blatantly attempting to hold DISH customers and the NCAA basketball tournament
    hostage in an effort to extract above market rates. This action is detrimental
    to the viewing public. After all, WKBT is broadcast for free over the air via a
    federal license intended to serve the public’s interests.

If you would
    like to encourage Morgan Murphy Media to reach a fair agreement with DISH, you
    may wish to reach out to:

Scott Chorski, VP/General Manager
    (608)
    782-4678
    schorski@wkbt.com

Sincerely,
    DISH

I had been in contact with Scott Chorski, the general manager at WKBT, earlier this week. He sent me a thoughtful e-mail about the station's costs. However, he didn't say that the retransmission by Dish was adding any costs. I asked specifically about that, and I haven't received an answer yet. He only mentioned trying to get advertisers, the added cost of digital HD, and the tough economic times.

It appears to me that Morgan Murphy Media is just trying to tap into a revenue source that they see as having deep pockets. I have no idea if any of that is "trickling down" to the stations themselves.

The governor of Wisconsin has already "legislated" away over 10% of my pay each year. At this time more than ever, I'm against anything that will raise costs to me.

6. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    I've lost the KVEW signal (as expected). Frustrating thing is, my OTA ABC channel is not KVEW, it's their sister station out of Yakima KAPP. Not a big deal except they don't send the guide info for KAPP

Onscreen guide on my 211k for that reads 'DIGITAL SERVICE'

LOL-I'll have to use the paper TV guide again -this is like the stone age (especially if I want to DVR) ;)

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Try TitanTV.com

There are other on-line guides also.

8. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    Thanks-just did a run around the dial and it appears the crisis is over :)

9. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Yep, over for now at least, as of around 11:00 p.m. CDT. No info on local WKBT site, but it's on the Madison channel 3 site and on Dish's site.

Of course, I had almost finished switching all of my CBS timers to OTA (no guide data available, so doing weekly timers). As I looked for the last one (I don't remember when things are on anymore so was using the CBS site for scheduling), I noticed that the shows were named in the guide again.

This lasted just long enough for me to waste time on redoing timers. My timing has been off for years!!

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    What I don't like about local stations is their news operations. They don't do serious stories. Dog lifts phone up and saves his master who fell.