1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morrowind (XBox) and other RPGs

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by RichW, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I used to be a big fan of computer role-playing games (RPGs). It start long ago (in a galaxy far away) with a minicomputer text game called "Adventure" - I played mine on a Prime computer. Then along came "Dungeon" for the VAX. Naturally when the Commodore C64, Amiga, Mac, and PC came along, I bought RPGs for them. Boy did I waste a LOT of time on them - Bard's Tale, Ultima series, even the various Sierra games that came out. Eventually, though I came to the conclusion I was spending way too much time on them and I didn't like the new generation of "shooters" that began dominating the computer gaming industry.

My wife bought me an XBox for Christmas. While I enjoy many games on this platform because of its great graphics and sound, I have not invested a lot of time playing XBox games. That is, until now, having bought Morrowind during this last Holiday weekend. This RPG is nothing short of fantastic! So far as I can tell, the game is literally open-ended as your character finds various quests and can do them in any order. Plus I especially liked the "ethics" questions at the start of the game to determine the traits fro formation of the players character.

I think I found a way to waste hundreds of hours more of my life! :)

I understand this game, as well as an expansion is available for the PC.

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Wow, Rich...I can't believe how much your experience mirrored mine. I also started out playing Adventure on a Prime, as well as Super Star Trek. I very well remember the days of dialing in on a 300 or 1200 baud modem using an ADM 3 dumb terminal to log into the Prime system to play. I even spent the hours involved with mapping the entire Colossal Cave, including both mazes! Ah, and Dungeon...wasted a lot of time playing that one as well in my young teenage years...and all of the Ultimas and the Sierra games - the Kings Quests, Space Quests, Police Quests, Leisure Suit Larrys... I pretty much quit playing games after playing Doom, Doom2, Quake, and Quake 2 all the way through.

I've throught about picking up Morrowind several times over the last couple of months, but with work, my time on here, a little television watching, and the wife, I don't really have a lot of time anymore to devote to playing games. Ah well...guess it's the cost of getting older... :)

3. Unthinkable

Unthinkable Guest

Sep 13, 2002
    Morrowind = Addictive as crack. That isn't a game you can just pick up and play for a few minutes here and there. You get sucked in and before you know it the whole night/week has blown by. Great game.

4. angiodan

angiodan Godfather/Supporter

Sep 2, 2002
    Well boys, save up some time starting next week. Star Wars-Knights of the Old Republic comes out on the 15th on XBOX. This one has been developed by Bioware, so I'm putting my money on it being a great Star Wars RPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.