1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Most career 5-hit games?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Steve, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    A friend and I have been Googling to no avail to try to find which MLB player holds the record for most career 5-hit games. Wondering if anyone here knows? TIA.

And if you did find it by Googling, please let me know what search term found it for you! :lol:

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
  3. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  4. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Steve call the WFAN ask Mike :lol:

5. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I may have to! :lol:

6. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
  7. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Thanks David! :) I saw that page on Gwynn earlier today, but didn't read it all the way through. D'oh!

8. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Go Yankees!

9. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    They're 11-0 without ARod in the line-up this year, and he just went on the 15-day disabled list. Woo-hoo! :lol:

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    XX-hit games is one of those weird stats that you're not sure how to read it. Admittedly I'm not big into baseball... but given the way it works, you can't get to 5 hits unless everyone else in your roster (exceptions made for pinch hitter/designated hitters) hits at least 4 times in the game.

So I'm inclined to think this is a stat that comes in clumps... by which I mean, if one guy gets a 5th hit I bet most times that happens others on the team also get there because it's probably an offense marathon unless we are talking extra innings where they get to bat just because the game gets played that long.

Also... it's not necessarily a testament to anything is it? I mean, you only get there IF everyone on your team is batting lights out and you're scoring a bazillion runs OR both teams are pitching a shutout and no one is really playing very well on offense.

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Interesting. Both Gwynn and Rose came to mind when I first saw this thread. I didn't think of Cobb but now, that's the obvious answer.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Changed your post to the proper wording. Hope you don't mind.

Is it a testament to anything? Isn't the fact that the (arguably) best hitter of all time (can't argue with that .367 batting average) has the most five hit or more games in the long history of baseball enough?

Put simply, it's a huge accomplishment to get five hits in a game. Huge.

Rich

13. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Not necessarily. Every slot will bat at least 3 times in a 9 inning game. For the leadoff hitter to get to bat a 5th time, then there needs to be a combination of 10 hits/walks/errors/HBP etc over 8 2/3 innings. That is just a little bit over an on-base average of 1.15 per inning. So you could get a 5th at bat in a 0-0 game.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Cobb's always the first person I think of when it comes to hits. Just as the Babe is the first one that comes to mind when speaking of HRs.

Think of what it was like when Cobb was playing: Not really a hardball by today's standards. More like a small, soft ball. (Note that I did not mean "softball".) Not that many ballplayers stand out from those days. None of us saw Cobb play (well, maybe Cholly :)), or any of his cohorts. They got paid next to nothing and played the game for the love of it. And Cobb stood head and shoulders above them all.

Rich

15. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    6 hits in a game is hard to believe. When I was forty, I had fourteen hits in a row over about three games in one league. Started to take notice of what I was doing when I got into my late 30s. Up until then, I just kept my batting averages. Up until then, baseball in any form was easy for me. After that, the pain...

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One of Cashmen's big mistakes was letting JD go. Hope he has the sense to get us Carl Crawford next year, I hope, I hope, I hope. Before anyone says Damon's not having a good year, put him back hitting second on the Yankees and his stats would be much better this year.

Rich

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I was omitting something in my thought process there, so thanks for the catch/corrections...

I was somehow equating hits with at bats a whole more than I should have... since at least 3 of those at bats would have to result in an out per inning or they'd never finish the game :) Also, I guess walks and hit-batters just count as on-base and not hits either.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Right. It's not that unusual for a player to get up five times a game, but as you can see, getting hits each time is pretty difficult.

Rich

20. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Nor do they count as "at bats".