1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most reliable indoor antenna to pair with a Am21 OTA Tuner?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JohnBoy, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1 of 14
    JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I have a rca flat antenna (1450 BR) that I picked up at walmart a few years ago to use when my two tuner DVR from cable was recording stuff. I would just switch over to antenna mode and watch the national channels.

Now with that said,I have gotten a HR-44 and 3/C41 set up recently and I pulled out the old antenna and ran a scan and it picked up quite a bit of regular and sub channels.

There many channels that showed up that I wish D* just had in my normal local set up guide such as Telemundo HD,Estrella TV,RTV and Antenna TV rather than monkeying around with an external antenna.

I would like to get a am21 tuner so I can pick up said channels and mix them in with the normal D* guide but I dont really trust the rca antenna even though it picks up quite a few channels with good strength.

I'am just worried that I will be recording stuff one day and I would get a bunch of glitching and pixelating due to the antenna.

Anyway ,can anyone recommend a very reliable indoor antenna that works extremely well with the am21 or will the old rca make due?

2. Aug 2, 2013 #2 of 14
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    There is no one size fits all when it comes to antennas for both outdoor and indoor, it all depends on where you live, how far away the stations are, if any of the stations come from different directions, the terrain between you and the transmitting towers, how close you are to any airports, if there's any stations from opposite directions on the same or adjacent channel. For indoor what floor you're on, how many floors your have, your roofing/siding material, where the room is, among other variables are thrown into the mix.

Try going to TVFool.com, and enter your address and a guess on how high you'll have the antenna in your house. The first floor above the TV will probably be anywhere between 5-7 feet depending on if your house is on a concrete slab or above a crawl space or basement, the second floor would probably be about 17 feet, if it's higher up on a bookshelf it will probably be one or two feet higher.

Anything in green should be easy for an indoor antenna (even the classic rabbit ears and UHF loop), anything in yellow is iffy and might only work with an attic or outdoor antenna or possibly a room that's near an exterior wall facing the towers. Also pay attention to which stations are VHF and which are UHF since you'll need a combo VHF/UHF antenna if like most markets you have at least one VHF station.

3. Aug 2, 2013 #3 of 14
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If it doesn't act like its broken, don't assume that it is. As long as the power inserter continues to deliver power, you should get stable performance.

4. Aug 2, 2013 #4 of 14
    JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Thanks guys,

I will try with the rca for awhile and see how it holds up,if not back to the drawing board.

5. Aug 5, 2013 #5 of 14
    bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Check this forum for some useful information, too.

6. Aug 5, 2013 #6 of 14
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    What signal strengths (actually Bit Error Rates) are you seeing for the OTA channels with the current antenna? If you're consistently above 50% for the channels you want and the signals don't jump around too much (+/- 5%), you should be OK with what you're using.

You can check your BERs under "Settings", "Sat & Antenna", "Antenna Set-up", "Edit Off-Air Channels", "Signal Meter".

7. Aug 5, 2013 #7 of 14
    JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I have not gotten the am21 yet but the antenna strength is around and above 50 for most regular and sub channels when I check the signal through the tv tuner.

8. Aug 5, 2013 #8 of 14
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Sounds promising. Hopefully the #'s don't jump around too much and the AM21's BER will be the same or better than you're seeing on the TV.

9. Aug 6, 2013 #9 of 14
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Every tuner is quite different, too. Generally speaking, if the TV gets it, the AM21 will too. What city do you live in, johnboy?

10. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Orlando.

11. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    The AM21 takes your OTA signal and matches it to channels in an in-house Directv database, with listings by Tribune. The database is not updated anymore, but this is a list of channels that, if your antenna gets the OTA signal, will appear on your Directv Guide:
    WESHDT 2.1 WESHDT2 2.2 WKMGDT 6.1 WKMGDT2 6.2 WFTVDT 9.1 WFTVDT2 9.2 WDSCDT 15.1 WDSCDT2 15.2 WDSCDT3 15.3 WKCFDT 18.1 WKCFDT2 18.2 WKCFDT3 18.3 WUCFDT 24.1 WUCFDT2 24.2 WUCFDT3 24.3 WUCFDT4 24.4 WVENDT 26.1 WVENDT2 26.2 WRDQDT 27.1 WRDQDT2 27.2 WOFLDT 35.1 WOTFDT 43.1 WTGLDT 45.1 WTGLDT2 45.2 WTGLDT3 45.3 WHLVDT 52.1 WACXDT 55.1 WACXDT2 55.2 WACXDT3 55.3 WOPXDT 56.1 WOPXDT2 56.2 WOPXDT3 56.3 WOPXDT4 56.4 WRBWDT 65.1 WEFSDT 68.1 WEFSDT2 68.2 WEFSDT3 68.3 WEFSDT4 68.4

With a Genie (HR34 or HR44), the AM21 used to scan-in ALL OTA channels and just match the channels with the database. Those not in the database would appear on the guide, but with "Regular schedule" for info. The latest release software (regional) does NOT do this, and if the channel is not listed in the database, it won't be there. If yours does not just add them, there are ways around that sometimes, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. If there are channels from a neighboring city you receive, you can input 2 zip codes for two DMAs worth of information. (There are sometimes ways around the 2 DMA limit, too, but that is another issue all to itself).

12. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Thanks,ejbt for the list.

I dont see WTMO Telemundo HD 27-3 that my tv tuner picks up but maybe it will show up as No program available on the guide.

I plan to order the am21 via amazon as its listed for $45 or see if I can find one cheaper on ebay.

BTW does the am21 help enhance the signal strength of the ota antenna or I'am at the sole mercy of the ota antenna by itself.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    This, based on my experience.

14. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    You're welcome.

There's no amp, if that's what you're asking. If your antenna doesn't have any amp, and it works now, you probably won't need it with the AM21. It can be annoying with a "771 - Signal loss on the off-air tuner" message if the signal blips too much, but a small amp could fix that. It seems like you need not worry about it.

Do you only get Orlando channels? We can check neighboring cities, too.(The list is available for anyone to download. It's on this site somewhere.)

As for reception of 27-3 on the AM21, there are several options to get it on your guide. First, get the AM21 and set it up and see what you have and how it handles 27-3. There are many 27-3's that we can force in there if it doesn't. Sadly, there are no Telemundo affiliates (in any time zone) that I have found to force in, but there are options. We'll worry about specifics later.