1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mount for roof?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by FlyingBoat, Jul 27, 2010.

1. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010
    D* came out today to do the install. Wife was concerned about bolting thru the roof. Installer said they have another metal platform system that looks something like a vent that attaches to the shingles and they don't need to lag through the shingles. The cost for this is $150. Is that reasonable? Have you heard of this type of thing? We are setup for a new install with this in a couple of days.

The tech said the shingles we have are really thick and narrow and would be difficult to mount flat without this system. He wasn't pushing for this. It was our concern about horror stories of leaking roofs.

Are leaking roofs something to be concerned about? Would D* pay for this install due to our shingles being too thick for the normal install?

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  3. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I've have put in roof mounted dishes since 1996 and never once had a complaint about a roof leak,If done properly the chance for a leak is near zero.

You probably should have let the installer proceed if he felt confident about the install,I'm not sure about the mounting system you are talking about but $150 seems normal for an alternate style mounting system.

Getting DirecTV to pay for a non standard mount system won't happen.

Best of luck with your next install appointment.

4. TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    My neighbor's is roof mounted. No probs for over 4 yrs.

5. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Sounds like they are talking about Commdeck.

http://www.rstcenterprises.com/commdeck/

It is a good product. Installation is the majority of the cost.

Doctor j

6. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010
    OK, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being ripped off for something unnecessary. I called a different shop and they charge $150 to come out and install a retrodeck, so that is the same. The device itself with shipping would be $50+ depending on the model. Overall sounds a bit better for the roof and wife is happier with it, though we have been discussing/fighting about the necessity. :mad: I woulld rather not spend the $150 if it isn't needed.

They have a really easy install other than this. I already have RG6 cable coming into the house into central location and out to each tv with faceplate. So they just need to run a cable from the sat to the box outside where the cable comes in.

Since they don't need to install wire in the house or even a box/faceplate, I might try to get them to install a couple of boxes for faceplates where I am going to run component from box on floor up to tv in the wall. Right now I just have comcast cable running in the wall to the wall mounted tv.

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Have you considered a pole mount? It is like $75.

8. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010
    They told me $150 for a pole mount. We wouldn't want the look of a pole mount as well.

9. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    Why take the chance don't roof mount it.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Wow. $150 for a $10 pipe and a $5 bag of quickrete. What am I going to college for, I need to be a pipe installer!

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    In most states, I would say that roof mounting should be no problem.

But you're in Minnesota. You get heavy snow and ice that stays on your roof for weeks at a time. In addition to the small but real chance of roof leaks, you have another potential issue (depending on where the dish is mounted) of snow/ice build-up that will block your signal.

If your dish is mounted on the roof, but on the low side of the overhang where it is relatively easy to get to and clean off, or to service during the winter, no problem. If you were thinking of having it in the middle of the roof or high up, know that if your dish needs servicing during snow season, you're probably SOL. And you'd most likely need a dish heater installed (another $200) if the dish is going to be inaccessable by you when you need to clean off the ice/snow. DirecTV doesn't send out techs to clean off snow/ice for you, BTW.

So, consider your dish location carefully. A poor decision could mean, at worst, several months without TV service in the winter.

12. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010

13. sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    I'm in Iowa and have had no problems with my roof mount. No leaks, no nothing. Id you are really concerned, you could always use roof sealant on the lag bolts and around the foot print. That would help for concerns also. Just my opinion, not looking to find out who's is better.

14. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010
    Comdeck installer called this morning and I guess they were to come out and install the comdeck the day before the D* install. Talked to him further about it. He said it is a bit of a destructive install, in that they take off the first layer of shingles, etc. (I watched the video and see that they do cut shingles.) The guy who called didn't think it was necessary either. I decided to skip the comdeck idea since he gave me the opportunity to back out of it. So I guess I will just be back to doing the normal install tomorrow.

I was thinking about the pole idea again. (The comdeck installer said a pole install was $75).

What about installing on a deck post?

15. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010
    Thanks for the thoughts here.

D* installer came out and it was OK to install on deck post. This is a much better place for me. No issue with roof leak. It looks better than being on the roof as well. The installation is working great.

I did notice when walking out on the part of the deck where the dish was installed that it does wiggle a bit when we walk on the deck, so I hope that doesn't cause problems through time.

The only problem I am having now is the remote won't operate the volume on my Magnavox receiver. It can shut it off but the volume doesn't change with it. I have Channel lock set to the Magnavox. I am researching the issue. Maybe I will need to get a new receiver or set up my Harmony remote.

16. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010
    I found a code for the remote. They have the exact model in the programming but it only turns it on and off. I tried every code for Magnavox in the manual and none of them worked for volume.

I found the application at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P4380052#h:1020.873 which gives you codes. They say they have the exact code, but that one doesn't work. I selected find more codes and saw a couple of new ones, but they did not work either. I selected find more again, and found an additional code, 30269, which works! Yeah! My recevier in the particular room is an MFX 450.

17. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010
    I have been getting a lot of 771 codes. It seems my receivers could be a weather forcaster because they go into 771 before it even starts raining!

D* came out today and installed some braces on the deck mount. It doesn't jiggle anymore. So hopefully I won't get 771 as frequently now. They also replaced the LNB. The LNB may have been causing play list lockup on my DVRs. They are just guessing about the LNB, but since all of my DVRs lock up they are thinking it is something at the dish.

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    711 means the receiver isn't activated. You must be talking about 771, "searching for satellite."

19. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Deck mounts are ok if they're "locked down" to a solid structure (doesn't move or warp). The mounting style should be similar to a wall mount. Monopoles "braces" should have been installed originally.

20. FlyingBoat

FlyingBoat Mentor

Jul 15, 2010
    Yes, it is the searching for satellite code. Edited post. Thanks.