1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting Dish for HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ldhays, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ldhays

ldhays AllStar

May 25, 2006
    Went around and around with my installer yesterday about how and where to mount the dish for the HR20! He was determined to mount it on roof, I wanted it on tower, he said no, to flimsy and no solid way to mount dish ! Then we decided on compromise and went for the chimney, but I had to get a bracket made for us to do that, which will take a few days to do! Got to thinking if this bracket will allow mounting dish to chimney why not tower as well? Contacted installer to ask if we could do that and he said no because he was afraid wind would move tower and that's a no no for this Ka band! After talking for some time about this he gave in and said we would try it on the tower but if wind was a problem then it would have to be moved to chimney! This dish will be mounted about 15 feet up on tower just above roof line, the tower is Rohn 20 and mounted in concrete, does anyone out there think that I will indeed have an issue with wind? This bracket will be a plate with a piece of 1-7/8" pipe coming out of the center of plate and then turning up to mount dish to, plate will be clamped to tower with 4 pipe clamps! Just realized I may have posted this in the wrong place!!

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you are sure the tower is completely rigid and is not swayed by wind gusts, especially after you add a big sail to it(the dish), then it should be fine. But if it does move even a little in the high wind, it is not an acceptable mount for the dish. The installer should ask you to sign a waiver, so that if it turns out to not work out, you would have to pay for the service call to relocate the dish to a different location.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    My Rohn has never even budged in the wind. At 15 feet, you shouldn't have any problems. If you were over 30 or 40 feet on a Rohn 20 (25?) that wasn't well guyed, I would expect problems.

But a disclaimer - my dish isn't on the tower.

Carl

4. ldhays

ldhays AllStar

May 25, 2006
    Tower is just inches from edge of roof, if there should be a problem with any kind of movement I could anchor the tower to the fascia ! I would be glad to sign a waiver if he asked me to! Just didn't want holes put in my roof or chimney!

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Rohn made house brackets for the 25G. These would probably also work for 20G (smaller tubing, same spacing). There are three models, HB25AG, HB25BG, HB25CG, depending on how far from the house the tower is located.

6. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    So why don't you want it mounted in the roof ? As long as the bracket is mounted to a stud and everything is sealed with RTV you won't have any problems. Tons of people like me put satellite dishes on roofs. I don't think they end up with leaks from it.

7. ldhays

ldhays AllStar

May 25, 2006
    House has cable heat that is in the ceiling, I do not want to take a chance on a leak because it was not sealed properly! They don't guarantee no leaks as far as I know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.