1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Mounting Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Akronviper, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1 of 12
    Akronviper

Akronviper New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Hey newbie here, I had an install on Monday and the installer took one look at the trees in my back yard and said no way. Which sucked cause I allready had a neighbors tree cut down just for them. So he had the supervisor come out and he found a LOS at the front of my yard (back of side walk and I live accross the street from a school...lol ) So the other 2 trees I had issues with I cut down today.

My question is since I should be able to do a roof mount instead of a pole mount now do I need to contact them and let them know or is the roof kit standard with the dish. I dont want the guy to be able to put it on the roof but have to reschedule again since all he has is a roof mount or should I contact them to have the supervisor do another survey since my install is Friday :confused:

2. Aug 2, 2011 #2 of 12
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    For peace of mind, I'd call and ask these questions.

3. Aug 2, 2011 #3 of 12
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Don't worry,

Most techs won't install on a roof; too many customers like you! If it won't go on the edge of the building they just punt. Dishes on poles don't cause roof leaks. The installer can charge extra to do it.....Also, easier to service in the future.

Pay for it and enjoy FREE Sunday Ticket.

AND the supervisor has less than a year experience, bet ya......want fries with that installation?

Joe

4. Aug 2, 2011 #4 of 12
    wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    we install on roofs everyday, If you didnt no jobs will get done. I would just tell tech when he calls you ion the morning of installation day that you had some trees cut down so it could be installed on the roof.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #5 of 12
    Akronviper

Akronviper New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Yeah like 99% of my neighborhood has roof mount, I would assume the siding mount would screw your siding up if its too tight unless the cut out for a mounting block. I would prefer a roof mount just to keep the kiddies walking by from not re-aligning my dish every time school gets out.....lol

6. Aug 3, 2011 #6 of 12
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Not anymore.

Akronviper, Most technicians (assuming that all components are available to them) carry all of the necessary mounts that they need in their area, including roof masts and pole mounts. That shouldn't be a problem.

BTW :welcome_s to DBSTalk.com!

7. Aug 3, 2011 #7 of 12
    TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Across the street from a school. I'd say you need a roof mount for sure. Can you imagine the reception problems with students messing with the dish? Not to mention damage or graffiti?

8. Aug 3, 2011 #8 of 12
    Akronviper

Akronviper New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Yeah that was my thoughts...lol But I want Time Warner gone so bad I will do just about anything. I have been thinking about ways to hide the dish out there but now that they have a nice view of S.W I'm definately rooting for the roof mount :lol:

9. Aug 4, 2011 #9 of 12
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    GUYS,

THE DEAL IS POSSIBLE,

My thoughts were..........."..I don't have a ladder on my van yet because I
    am not yet certified to climb."
    " We charge for anything that requires we get off
    the ladder. We have to call in for permission."
    "IF we get off the ladder we need a helper on the
    ground."
    "OUR insurance doesn't cover getting off the
    ladder to work. What if I fall through?"

My conclusion is that anyone who was doing this work left as the money departed. Those remaining are working for spit and will not expose themselves to any liability for spit. Also, they don't know what they are doing but do know they are not being paid enough even to not do it.

Can't spell liability or risk vs benefit.

Joe

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I still ads for $55/$15.

If their shirt is tucked in and their fly is up they are doing their best.

Phone work is beyond their capability & they need two people to read the assembly instructions for the dishes. Cat 5 is a pet!

Joe

11. Akronviper

Akronviper New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    haha Cat 5 is a pet.....lol

Yeah just from experience were not dealing with the cream of the crop, but there are some good guys out there. Just sucks that their hands are tied on the amount of work they can do with out losing money. You would think with the amount of money they charge you they would bend over back wards to get stuff in......

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I think Directv wants to provide competent installations and pay enough to get it done.

What happens is, in my opinion, a problem of logistics. The first subcontractor, their almost in-house Home Service Provider (HSP), takes a slice for routing, warehouse services and processing the paperwork with a profit. Then the second subcontractor augments the service of the first subcontractor while finding techs to actually do the work.

By the time the guy with the tools puts his aluminum step ladder in his beat up pick up most of the money is gone. When he discovers what his costs are and compares it to the money offered he quits. Many times that second subcontractor either invents back charges or just runs off with the money.
    Then the process starts over.

In many areas Directv is attempting to do the installations with their own employees. They have a first rate technical staff presenting superior training materials. It could get better.

Joe