1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mouting a DISH on your Roof.. Scary....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dcanesdbs, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcanesdbs

dcanesdbs Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    I mentioned in the one post how I now have a new Slimline 5LNB dish that was put on my roof... i was nervous because they left the old brackets on the roof with the old 3LNB dish and with the new, the installer said he used, I think Bishop Tape instead of silicone.

Well anyway, after researching, I found this scary article and now is freaking me out!!!!! Any thoughts?

http://www.cableplease.com/dish-roof-damage.html

2. RaMMaN

RaMMaN Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    look at who runs that site

are you still freaked out

3. dcanesdbs

dcanesdbs Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, duh.. You are right....

do you have a slimline mounted to your roof? any isues?

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    That's funny. Nice scare tactic.

5. dcanesdbs

dcanesdbs Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    Umm yes.... Freaked me out!!!! The guy that put on my new roof last year also provided his own scare tactic about ice dams, etc., in the winter... Just saving himself... AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!:nono2:

6. RaMMaN

RaMMaN Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Yes I have a slimline 5lnb on the roof for over a year and have had no problems

7. dcanesdbs

dcanesdbs Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    Sounds good.. Thanks buddy!

8. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Actually, that's a pretty funny site. Of course, I've had 3 different dishes on two different houses over the past 8 years and not one of them, including the Slimline I had put up 2 weeks ago, have been mounted through the roof. Fascia mounted dishes work just fine for me.

9. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    If done right it shouldn't be a problem. But for full disclosure, mine is pole mounted. For the three house's i have had, i have avoided putting it on the roof for a variety of reasons. On being to hard to get to for adjustments, service, cable runs, etc. Not just because of the story in the link.

10. dcanesdbs

dcanesdbs Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    Yes, I think my cables are in the gutter then run down the side of the house behind the gutter, into the basement...

What I also noticed was the dish was installed right above the eave/soffit vent on the roof.. so, technically, if there was any leaks, the leaks would drip out into the eave/soffit vent and I would never see?

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Did ya see the one about "Underground cable installation blows up house?" They cut a propane line and the house basement filled with gas. When the stuff found the hot water heater with an open flame.......

Sadly, after the explosion and fire there was no place to mount a dish.

And a good thing too. The satellite company was going to use electricity to run their equipment. If that stuff is so safe how come it is used to run the ELECTRIC CHAIR?

Joe

12. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    That story is just too funny. Ninety percent of it is either false statements or is contradicting itself. It almost sounds like it was written by someone in high school.

13. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    And yet, more cable propaganda. That is very funny.

The satellite providers should put a counter-point story up on some website that talks about the cable companies burying (assuming they eventually ever get to your house to bury it) their cable after a new install and in the process of burying the new line the cable company could cut gas lines, electric service, telephone service lines, or sprinkler lines (could even throw in a gratious speculative comment like a small leak in the sprinkler line near the foundation could cause the foundation to sink resulting in 10,000 of thousands of dollars in damages to the home.) :lol:

14. dcanesdbs

dcanesdbs Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    Hansen, is your dish mounted on the roof? Is so, any issues?

15. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    My 5 lnb is mounted on the roof and I have (knock on wood) had no problems. The installer used a black tar like mastic tape under the mount and each monopole mount and it made a great seal.

I have had 3 other dishes mounted on my roof over the years and never had any issues. There is no quesiton that there is risk involved but, IMO, if it's done correctly, you should be fine. I wonder how many of the 13 to 14 million D* subscribers have dishes on the roof. I bet it's at least 50% if not substantially more. No worries...enjoy the HD programming.

16. dcanesdbs

dcanesdbs Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    That is GREAT to know... I think my installer used the same tape... We are supposed to get a storm here tomorrow so it will be put to the test:)

I will enjoy!! They are supposed to come Tuesday but it is supposed to rain. If the dish is already installed and I currently do have 2 lines coming in, even if it rains, I will be OK? Right? Since the dish is already installed? Thank you!

Thanks

17. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    I don't see why anybody wants a dish on the roof, I'm not worried about it doing any damage, I just want it where I can get my hands on it, I been with directv 12 yrs and I just put mine on a poll, this is 4 I have had. I just walk out to the end of my deck and it's at eye level.

18. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    Bishop Tape is a tar like substance. When the lag bolts go through it, it will stick to the thread thus sealing the holes.

Randy

19. dcanesdbs

dcanesdbs Legend

Oct 13, 2007
    Randy,
    By an installer usingthis tape instead of say, silicone, would you say the installer did a good job and was reliable? Is this tape better then silicone, etc?

20. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    Much more reliable in my book than silicone on a roof. This is the standard for what we use on roofs.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.