1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Move external drive to internal on HR24 and HR34???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by markrogo, Sep 29, 2013.

1. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    So I have been hunting power demons and decided I am not happy wasting power on eSATA boxes that are taking up an extra 10 watts each...

With the caveat that there are issues regarding equipment that may or may not be owned, is it possible to take a drive from an eSATA enclosure and move it inside an HR24 or HR34 (I have one of each).

Let's assume I understand fully that I can break something, that if I don't own a receiver it could be bad, that I might be violating a rule. What I want to know is will there be any technical issues with doing this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    as long as the drive is SATA, it will work, however the recordings will be lost or at least not playable. But since this is a violation of DirecTV's ToS, this thread may get thrashed

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As long as you are moving the external to an internal on the same DVR all the recordings will be fine. But if they arent owned units......

4. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Bad Idea.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    No Techincal issues.

But if its not owned.... Well you can buy it. Call DIRECTV access card department.

And in the tips and tricks area there tutorials of several kinds on how to do this kind of thing for owned units.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

6. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    I want to thank everyone who was helpful.

There is a catch here that I wasn't aware of until I took everything apart. The drive inside an HR24 is much slimmer than standard 2GB drives. There is insufficient room inside the HR24, especially using the drive cage I have, to mount the Western Digital drive I had in the external assembly. So I put it all back together and admitted defeat.

Perhaps someday they'll let us run 2x Genie and I can back on power consumption that way... Alas...

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes, there's one hr24 that's designed that way, the other models take regular size as I recall. Very annoying when people do that.