1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Move/no reception?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Dobe, May 19, 2013.

1. Dobe

Dobe Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    Hi:

I upgraded to the Hooper a few months ago. Now I'm unexpectedly moving. The new house has lots of HUGE old trees around it -- especially to the South. The only fairly clear path is North. The trees branches can't be cut because of rules. Plus I wouldn't want to cut them. The trees are pretty amazing.

I've lived in my current house since before Satellite TV was available so I've never dealt with obstruction problems. What does DISH do if I want to move and take them with me but I can't get reception because of the trees?

I still have 22 months on my contract.

Thanks.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you are nice and they can't get line of sight... they may offer to waive the contract... but don't expect it. Maybe you will be ok and they can get signal in the new location... but you aren't going to know until you try.

3. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    If you are willing to have a pole mount in the yard they may be able to find an opening in the trees. The only problem then would be as the trees grow they may eventually block the signal.

A compass and a chart (based on zip code) should show you where the signals come from. You may be able to find where an opening is (hopefully on the house but if not then in the yard).

Also some markets have their locals on both the eastern and western arc, so you may have two shots at finding an opening.

Good luck!

4. Dobe

Dobe Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    Thanks for the responses. I'm in Sacramento. I guess it will be a wait and see. I've been with DISH a while and hope they can somehow find a line of sight. I would have the same problem with D* so that would leave me with Comcast which -- in Sacramento -- is not a quality option!.