1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Move Recordings from Old Receiver to New Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jmunick1, Oct 7, 2012.

1. jmunick1

jmunick1 Legend

Jan 1, 2007
    Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has a way to transfer recordings from HD DVRs to other HD DVRs. I have a legacy setup with two HR20-700s and one HR22-100 and I would like to upgrade to the HMC with the RVU clients. However I have several saved recordings on my other DVRs I would like to transfer to the HMC.

Is this possible? Perhaps by using an external drive? Is there a way to access the command line of the DVRs and transfer with FTP for example?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Unfortunately not. Even if they were already on an external, they wouldn't be playable, except maybe something recorded OTA from an AM21 or HR20 OTA tuner.

3. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012

If you were going to clone the drive and put it in the same receiver this can be done without too much of a problem. If you want to use the cloned drive in another DVR it is not going to happen because the recordings are encrypted to the DVR they were made on. If I remember correctly the drives on the HR20 and HR22 are fairly small so there would not be too much to copy. I bought a Magnavox combination DVD recorder/VCR from Wally World to accomplish this. This is fairly easy to hook up and do with one caveat. Some premium content is copy protected and is not copied easily. You might be able to get around this using composite, component, or S video cables instead of a HDMI cable, I haven't tried that yet. One other thing, I have in my Mac Pro tower a Black Magic video/audio capture card that will do this too.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As dpeters said, the only recordings that can be played on another dvr that they werent recorded on are the OTA recordings from an HR20 or one of the newer receivers mated with an AM21, and thats only because the OTA recordings arent encrypted.