1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move to Eastern arc w/o HD programming?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jtiner, Sep 15, 2010.

1. jtiner

jtiner Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I'm wondering if there are any problems with moving to the EA but retaining an SD only programming package. I'm on 119/110 now with a DishPro and 508 DVR and AT120 annual.
    I'd like to get a new 722 receiver and 1000.4 dish and move to the EA without upgrading my package (just activating the 722 inplace of the 508). Any potential problems or costs other than incurring the $6/month DVR fee?
    The backstory is that I've been a customer for 14 years, buying and installing all of my own equipment, and have always had an annual package.
    I don't want to make any programming changes now since I'll be forced out of annual AT120 at $385 a year. Dish is requiring a switch to monthly AT120 to get the HD for life offer, and that means going to $40/month and paying for locals ($552 yearly). I really, really do NOT want to pay for locals as I receive literally every local in the state off-air now.
    I'm thinking I'll get on the EA with current hardware and hope for a future opportunity to change service......

EDIT: I've joined the forum only recently but have been a reader for years........

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You can do anything you want if you buy your own equipment. But if you want a discounted leased 722 and dish installed you'll have to play by DISH's rules.

3. jtiner

jtiner Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    So it sounds like the SD MPEG 4 version of the core channels reside on the EA along with HD programming, correct?
    I'm barely able to see 110/119 from the house (there's a small clearing at the end of my driveway), and the EA isn't clear from the house, but I've installed conduit, a pole, and coax to an area 60' out that can see the EA.
    I'm on the fence about the antenna/receiver deal from Dish ($195 w/o a service plan). The CSR couldn't tell me what receiver I would get, or how to specify the 722.
    I'm thinking the best course now may be to watch for receiver and antenna deals for the next month or so, and if something reasonable comes along, I'll just upgrade to EA and SD/MPEG4 for now.

4. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I gave up on annual AT120 @ 11 * $35 for a variety of reasons. If you don't want to pay the $5/month for locals (down from the $5.99 you'd have to pay today), sticking with annual is your only option as it isn't included with the annual price.

Your $552 isn't what you should compare to $385. The $40/month includes locals so that is $385 : $480. The $95 difference is one month @ $35 plus 12 months of $5 locals. Yes, you will pay another $6/month for the DVR, but you'll add that whether AT120 is monthly or annually.

With no local subscription and a 508, I guess you are just watching all those OTA channels live? Or do you have something in place to record them now? The 722 will let you record the OTA channels, but unless you sub to locals, you won't get EPG info to be able to use regular name based recording for the OTA channels. I know it is annoying to pay for locals you get fine, but having the networks in the Guide to just click and select new episodes only for XYZ show is probably worth the $5/month.

Since you want to go EA and know you won't be able to activate the 508 and see EA sats, you MIGHT be a good candidate for the HD only DISH America (think that's what its called). Monthly version of it is $29.99 with locals. Add $6/month for the DVR and you're back close to your current monthly price when paying annually. No need for HD for Life and you'd be getting the HD channels. I'd assume a Maine sub to the package would default to an EA install rather than WA.

5. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Correct. All of the SD in AEP is currently on 72.7 ... and the Latino channels were just activated today on 77.
    You would need line of sight to 61.5 and 72.7 to get all HD channels.
    Locals are on 61.5 or 77 depending on market (if they are on EA).
    Not all markets are available on EA.

6. jtiner

jtiner Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I know the DVR fee is unavoidable (unless using a 211 w/HD).The $40/month with locals is my main gripe; I receive all of the Portland and Bangor stations off air now, so it really bothers me to have to pay for them re-encoded by Dish. I know the 722 w/local subscription would allow DVRing of the off-air, but I haven't recorded anything off-air for 8 or 9 years.
    Somebody else mentioned an HD only package in another thread. I'll have to look into that.

7. jtiner

jtiner Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    From the new location of my mounting post, I can see 61.5/72.7/77 with a good 10 degrees over the trees. I'm just able to see 110/119 with the original installation. There's no line of sight to 129.....

8. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Have you ever had a DVR? They are addictive. Being able to record both DISH provided and OTA locals has become the norm in our house. Don't know how we ever lived without it. (We're spoiled, I know.)

9. jtiner

jtiner Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Yeah I hear you on the DVR addiction. I've had the 508 for a long time, and I wouldn't be able to watch commercial television without it. But I definitely wouldn't need the DVR for off air. We don't watch any (and I mean any) network stuff; not a single program. We just watch the networks for local/national news. The last time I recorded something off air would have been during the original syndication run of Star Trek The Next Generation.......

10. jtiner

jtiner Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I installed a 722k and 1000.4 last weekend with disappointing signal results for the 77 degree satellite position.
    72.7 and 61.5 worked well with a signal strength of 56 and 49 respectively, but I was never able to exceed a level of 22 from the 77 position, even when I tried peaking exclusively for that position.
    My original antenna arrived with several small dents in the reflector that I knew would impact signal levels, but I suspected the effect would be negligible. Then I thought perhaps they were indeed causing some problem with 77. My replacement reflector arrived yesterday and I did see an increase in levels ( 61@72.7 and 54@61.5) but 77 remained low (24) even if peaking exclusively for 77.
    I was really reaching for causes (odd LNB failure mode, etc.), but I'm now wondering if Maine is just not in the 77 footprint. I've seen threads suggesting this, but I can't find a current footprint map of 77.
    Can anyone confirm that these low levels on 77 are perfectly normal in Maine? I also realize there's no programming that's vital for me at hat position, but the low signal level is driving me nuts........

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The problem is that the sat at that location wasn't designed to be there. Here's the footprint map:

[​IMG]

12. jtiner

jtiner Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I just found several listings for the 77 position from the Echostar satellite services website, along with some information from Wikipedia that seems to follow what you say. I saw an old footprint map somewhere for 77 (forget which satellite, though) and it covered Mexico...

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Forget 77 in Maine. You don't need it. Focus on getting 61.5 and 72.7 and ignore the signal from 77. All the national channels (except DISH Latino package) are on 61.5 and 72.7. Bangor and Portland locals are on 61.5. (Presque Isle locals are only western arc.)

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    77 is split between 8 transponders set aside to serve Mexico (a separate DISH Mexico service - not the US service) and 24 transponders set to deliver content to the southern part of the US (18 transponders are currently carrying locals). When the satellites at that location are replaced next year the coverage will remain the same ... southern US cities (nowhere near Canada) locals and dedicated beams for the Mexican DISH branded service.

15. Dish97

Dish97 AllStar

Dec 19, 2009
    Don't worry about 77. Ignore it and peak for 61.5 & 72.7. Nothing on 77 that you need.

16. jtiner

jtiner Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Yupp. I've been trying to figure out why I had such lousy levels on 77, and 30 minutes ago I found the receive contour maps for E1, E4, and E8, indicating we're not anywhere in the footprint except for a low level from a medium power beam on E8.
    I've got great levels @ 61.5 and 72.7. I'm getting Portland and Bangor off-air.....

17. mountaintop

mountaintop Mentor

Oct 2, 2010
    What should the signal strength be for this SAT on a new setup? I want to make sure I get a fair signal strength tomorrow and thought 80 and above was right. Thanks

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    EA signals won't be that high. All the sats there are old and weak except E15 at 61.5, which is virtually brand new. The other birds are due for replacement over the next couple of years, and then Dish's fleet will all be fairly new.

19. jtiner

jtiner Cool Member

Jun 21, 2010
    I'm guessing you might see levels of 40 or so on some transponders on 77; I'd have to look at the contour maps again. The U.S. footprints covered south/central regions, but nothing to speak of way up here....
    I had levels of ~ 56@61.5, 61@72.7, and 25@77 (on two or three transponders only).

EDIT: just looked at the maps again..... N.C. is in O.K. in the 77 slot E8 and E1 beams for the U.S. You should see reasonable levels, perhaps 40-50, as a guess, from what others have posted.