1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved from IR to RF it didn't seem to help much

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by p4594spa, Jun 7, 2013.

1. p4594spa

p4594spa Mentor

Jul 20, 2006
    Recently, the standard remote shipped with HR23-700s that I have started being picky about how it was pointed at the DVR when I used it. I had to point about 15 degrees to the left of where the DVR was to make it work. So I thought maybe if I switch to RF, things will be better. Not really, it is still acting as if in IR mode. The DVR says it is in RF mode. Only real difference I see is that when I push a button (like down arrow), it acts sometimes as if I pushed it multiple times.

Thoughts? :nono2:

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    For the IR problem I would try a new pair of batteries.

For the double keystroke problem in the RF mode, "Sometimes" a reset of the receiver will help this problem.

3. p4594spa

p4594spa Mentor

Jul 20, 2006
    Already replaced battery & I do a red-button reboot about once a month to keep the HR23 working nicely.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Try this:

press mute and select at the same time until the light on the remote blinks twice, key in 963 and channel-down

This is supposed to disable the remote identification that goes with every button press.
    Sometimes this fixes it.
    If it does nothing for you, do the same procedure except after the 963 press the channel-up button and it will put it back.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Going RF should rule out interference from an IR light source.

The part about having to hold the remote in a particular orientation in both IR and RF modes suggests a bad electrical connection in the remote itself. My money says you'll be buying a new remote soon.

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    RF remotes hit their functional peak with the H20 and HR20, they had an external jack that could either have a short whip attached, or a length of coax and then the whip to put the antenna closer to the mirrored set.

Since then the RF antenna inside the box (H2X series) has been found wanting in the extreme. I have an HR20 and a HR22 in the same rack on the same TV and both are mirrored. I can only use the '20 in the kitchen (25 feet away) as the range on the '22 is around 10 feet. I'll probably put a C31 in the kitchen to make it work, but it's a shame to spend another $6/mo just because the RF remote technology has deteriorated since those halcyon HR20 days so long ago.

Somebody needs to make a good clip on 5 watt RF booster for the RF remotes to give them a little range.

:nono2:

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    RF remotes hit their functional peak with the H20 and HR20, they had an external jack that could either have a short whip attached, or a length of coax and then the whip to put the antenna closer to the mirrored set.

Since then the RF antenna inside the box (H2X series) has been found wanting in the extreme. I have an HR20 and a HR22 in the same rack on the same TV and both are mirrored. I can only use the '20 in the kitchen (25 feet away) as the range on the '22 is around 10 feet. I'll probably put a C31 in the kitchen to make it work, but it's a shame to spend another $6/mo just because the RF remote technology has deteriorated since those halcyon HR20 days so long ago.

Somebody needs to make a good clip on 5 watt RF booster for the RF remotes to give them a little range.

:nono2:

I just checked using a RC71 with my HR44-700. The HR44 is in an I closed rack and the remote was able to change the channel one floor up at the other end of the house, about 25ft away or the same floor about 30 ft away and through 4 walls.

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    That's encouraging.

thanx for the report