1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mover's connection...need advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by kmax, Apr 11, 2011.

1. kmax

kmax AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Ok, need advice on what to do and what to expect. I will try to be as descriptive as possible.

Bought a house. House is a 2 story with chimney and basement. I have
    possession of the house and plan to move in about 2 months.

I currently have an HR20,HR21,an H20, and a H21.

House is in a woodsie area. There is absolutely no way to get a signal near the ground. Looks like chimney mount is the way to go (in fact there is an old dish up on the chimney already.) Even then, in 5-10 years that might not cut it.

The old dish has wires running down the side of the chimney and they enter somewhere close to the foundation.

To prepare for this, I plan on running home runs from all the rooms I think are necessary to a central point in the basement. This point is a laundry room....which has a laundry chute from the 2nd floor. This provides the perfect chase for me to run everything down to. Now to get to this room from the exterior will require fishing wire through the basement ceiling. I have no problems taking some of the ceiling down. I will have to anyways and need to verify the condition of other things.

So....

1) I have MRV. Unsupported, no DECA. My thoughts are to go with DECA.

2) Given this is a much larger house, there will be a future need for more tuners....as in more than 8.

3) Since I'm under 8 now, I assume they would do the SWM line dish and run single cable...which is a chimney mount covered under a regular install?

4) And given #3 combined with the basement ceiling situation I would prefer the 4 cable solution into a 16 SWM switch for future expansion. Rather have them run once and not have to come back. But I know since I'm not over 8 tuners that isn't going to happen.

So I guess it boils down...

How to maximize potential savings of movers connection vs. ordering what I want on Solid Signal or whatever. I figure with the MRV install the H20 would get swapped out for example, or if I were over 8 tuners DirecTV would provide me with a SWM16.

I have no qualms paying to get things done right.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You won't get a chimney mount from DirecTV, and no regular installer is going to put one in for you. As you don't mind paying to get things done right, find a local retailer that does DirecTV work and have them evaluate and estimate the job.

Also, as you note, a movers connection will not put in any equipment that exceeds the current needs. You'll get an SWM LNB (assuming there is someplace the dish can be mounted other than the chimney). If you buy a regular LNB and SWM8 or SWM16, the installer might put it in for you, but also might not.

3. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Not entirely true. The rules for chimney mounts now-a-days are if it's below the roof line. However, most supervisors I know will overlook a chimney mount if it is the only option. They would much rather you put in on a chimney than lose the install.

4. Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    I can modify a work order from a standard SWM LNB to a SWM-8, but you'll be hard pressed to convince me to run 2 duals down when 1 line would suffice. (Money would likely convince most of our techs.) Also, depending what kind of chimney you have - brick, crappy hollow construction w/ siding - it may or may not be possible to mount a new dish up there. I'd say skip the frustration and would recommend a local retailer... Chances of an HSP or O&O tech getting you what you want are slim to none.

5. Buckeye3d

Buckeye3d Cool Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I'm also going to be using movers connection here soon. What kind of options will they give you for mounting the dish (assuming no bribes are offered)? Is a pole mount a possibility or will I have to allow them to attach it to the side of the house?

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    They will not attach it to the side of the house. The dishes now are too heavy/big to do that. It will either go on your roof or on a pole mount.

- Merg

7. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    If it's brick we can attach it to the side. Some techs will also put it on lap siding. (I don't) If you have vinyl then it goes on the roof or on a pole. If by chance you have a flat top roof a non-penetrating mount can be used.

Some companies/techs will charge for a pole mount if you have line of a site from the house but thats a case by case basis.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Hmmm... When talking to installers around here, they've been told no side mounts. Roof or pole mount only from now on...

- Merg

9. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    never heard that one. they get mounted on brick everyday

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I don't know the rule on this, but most in my neighborhood (including myself) have a dish mounted to the side of the house (brick homes.) My dish is mounted properly and has been rock solid in winds up to 60 mph. If mounting to an appropriate surface I don't see how a side mount is any less effective than a roof/pole mount.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    As a generalization, the higher up the chain you go the less creative the solutions. Managers make up "rules" all the time to minimize the number of exceptions they personally have to sign-off on. It will be them and not the tech who has to get the improvised installation running after a failure. In this case it is better to get it done right in advance than attempting to get permission or manipulate the system.

If you have to ask the answer will be a slow in coming "no."

A mast in masonry with monopoles works fine. Prune the trees before they become a problem.

Enjoy,

Joe

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Maybe the HSP around here got burned and decided this was just easier... Wouldn't surprise me considering the work I've seen from some installers (by far not a blanket statement of all installers).

- Merg

Sent from my iPod touch using DBSTalk

13. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    >Not entirely true. The rules for chimney mounts now-a-days are if it's below the roof line.

Not sure why. My understanding is that chimneys are OK as long as it's below the smoke line (and I've seen smoke damage).

If I can climb up on the roof and do the chimney from there, a chimney mount is just a little extra time drilling holes and carrying up my hammer. I am happy to do it because (if the brick is good), I know it will be sturdy.

It's masonry off the ladder that bothers me. Usually, customer just doesn't want to mess with their "brand-new" (ten-year-old) roof.

>If mounting to an appropriate surface I don't see how a side mount is any less effective

Side mounts are no problem. Vinyl? Don't over-torque. Asbestos shingle? Drill pilot holes.

Takes a little extra time with moving the ladder all around the dish, but in the end, you didn't climb on no roof, your wires are shorter, and the dish is solid.

14. kmax

kmax AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Thanks for info. Guess I'm looking to maximize movers connection benefits if I'm going to get locked into another 2 year commitment.

My original thought was to procure receivers ahead of time and activate them to get over the 8 tuner limit before move. That way wouldn't DTV be forced to do a SWM16 install? And they would swap out the H20 due to MRV? Or perhaps buy the HR24 which would make me reach 8 tuners, then during the move request have them do a DVR replacement for the H20.

What's the best way to find the official DirecTV installer for the area? Perhaps a stupid question, but my feeble googling is coming up short.

Chimney is masonry.

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Here are two things that may help.

Around here I found the local Home Service Provider (HSP) for Directv, MASTEC, had a yellow pages ad under SATELLITE TV. It makes sense because they get a little something for generating orders. Try the Yellow Pages. They know who covers each zip code.

The other thing is a chimney mount a customer made. This thing would not only hold a failing chimney together but you could mount the Eiffel Tower on it and nothing would move.
    He built (in the machine shop he owned) a strap made from 1/4 steel that was six inches wide. The corners were welded but where the two pieces (halfs of the rectangle but a little short) met there were a ninety degree flanges to accept bolts to tighten the band together.
    I provided a mast in advance that his "boys" welded. But you could drill and carriage bolt a mast in any direction.
    He offered to make them up for me in groups of ten @ $150.00 so I could sell them for ONLY three hundred bucks.
    Standard "Chimney Strap" mounts are available and could work. With this you are often depending on untrained help who have been forbidden to get off the ladder. The HSPs have a problem finding & keeping good folks.
    But the chimney mount can be done several ways.

Joe

16. kmax

kmax AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Yeah, should do the yellow pages :lol:. Googling basically brings up direct and dish main sites.

Another question...what are the cliff notes for grounding requirements?

Point of entry into house would be close to gas meter. Electrical box is on other side of house at the garage. AC condenser electrical shutoff is close to point of entry as well.

Sorry for the stupid questions, just want things done right.

Part of me wonders if I played dumb, negotiated the deal with Direct, then when dealing the installer slip him a couple benjamins just to get it done. :lol:

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The point of entry is within twenty feet of the main electric bond. This is a ground rod with your house electric also grounded there.

DO NOT attach any ground strap to your gas system.

I'll try to get a graphic to fill in but they don't seem to copy & paste here. Try going here .....good graphics

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarc...ingSatelliteDishandLead-InCables~20020303.htm

Anyhow,:

Dish...coax with ground wire...ground block...coax to receiver= Satellite line.

The ground block has a lug to attach 10ga wire to the main house ground. The frame of a multiswitch has a similar lug and can be substituted for a ground block.

The RG6 coax cable used from the dish will have a small ground wire encased in the outside ply of insulation. This little wire gets attached to both the dish frame and the ground block as do at least one (usually all) of the coax lines.

Joe