1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movers Connection perks?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hbkbiggestfan, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1 of 15
    hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Please help, I've got a number of questions on this...

I'm moving to Austin in the next week or so and need to call D* to set-up installation at my new home. I know they usually throw in some freebies with the movers connection (3 months free premiums, NFL ST). I want to get a whole-home install free with my move if possible (I know they do it free for newbies). What are my chances? Can I speak to a retention CSR or do I have to call the Movers Connection phone line for my move?

Also I own some extra receivers/DVRs that are idle. I want to activate them so I can have D* installed in every room in my new home. My current set-up is 3 rooms, in my new home I want at least 5 rooms installed (6 if I decide to do the garage). Will that be included or will it cost extra, even though I'm activating boxes I already have? Can I de-activate the receivers after the install without any issues? I only need the extra rooms installed for when I have guests staying and don't want to pay the monthly receiver fees if they aren't being used.

Feedback from anyone who has any experience with this or has knowledge on it is greatly appreciated.

2. Jan 7, 2012 #2 of 15
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The only piece of this I have a recommendation for is to activate the idle boxes before you call for the movers connection deal so that the movers connection work order can be handled correctly. If your acct only shows 2 active receivers, the movers connection order would only be setup to install a system capable of the current active stuff on your account. A few days after the move you should be able to safely deactivate the other receivers.

3. Jan 7, 2012 #3 of 15
    hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    My current place is only installed in 3 rooms. If I attempt to activate 2 more boxes (5 total), will they know this and say it can't be done? Thanks.

4. Jan 7, 2012 #4 of 15
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I think you also need to look at your two backups and MRV. I don't believe the R15 or DirecTV Tivo will work with MRV and will have to be upgraded.

You need to call and ask.

5. Jan 7, 2012 #5 of 15
    hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    I only need the Whole-Home service for the receivers I have active now (HR20, HR22 and HR23) and the H21 I'll be re-activating. The DirecTiVo will be for my spare guest room when I have someone over and won't need DECA.

Will the same Dish work with my current HR DVRs and my DirecTiVo/R15?

6. Jan 7, 2012 #6 of 15
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's not a matter of being compatible with DECA, the old DirecTivo and R15 aren't SWM compatible. They have to be swapped out on a SWM system if you want to be able to use them at all. Either DirecTV would (and I think the replacement would be leased), or you'd need to buy an owned R16 off someone.

7. Jan 8, 2012 #7 of 15
    hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Ok thanks.

Anyone else have any more answers for me?

8. Jan 8, 2012 #8 of 15
    adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    I moved in summer, put my account on suspension until I found a home. Also did movers connection on install, I only paid for the pole mount or wall fish...not sure which lol. I received a swim set up and a broadband adapter and reactivated 2 HR24's and 1 H24...They did the reactivation. I had a clean account no balance and after reactivation I paid bill same time of the month as I always do and was charged a late fee...it was not even thirty days. I was credited back and apologized to.

9. Jan 8, 2012 #9 of 15
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I believe all your current questions have been answered, what other answers are you looking for?

10. hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Can I speak to a retention CSR for my move (better chance of getting whole-home included) or do I have to call the Movers Connection line?

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you're willing to cancel if you don't get what you want, then by all means call retention. If you're just trying to get them to give you stuff for free or cheaper and threatening to cancel, then you're on your own because I don't believe you should misrepresent your intentions to get freebies because I find it morally bankrupt. I would recommend calling the mover's connection, in fact I believe to take advantage of the movers connection you have to call the mover's connection number anyway. Just like to take advantage of the referrals you need to call the referral number as well.

12. hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Why does someone always have to start questioning "morals" around here? That's annoying. Im not going to threaten to cancel or make any demands, nor have I said I would. Geez. We all know retention is the way to go if you want to get anything extra. Nothing immoral about that. I simply want to know if anyone with experience in the matter knows if going through retention is a real option for this.

13. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    They would replace any receivers that were not SWM/MRV compatible. I believe that if you have the protection plan, any replaced receivers would be owned.

14. hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Even if its an SD DVR to an HD DVR? Because only the HR series are SWM/MRV compatible. Thus, since my old equipment wouldn't be compatible with the install, it has to be upgraded to equipment that is and since the old equipment was owned the replacements will be owned even if they are newer and better models (With the protection plan)?

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They don't replace receivers to be MRV compatible, they replace them to be SWM compatible. So in your case, the R16. It's SWM compatible but not with MRV. The R22 is MRV compatible, but only if there is one HR DVR and one HD receiver minimum.