1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Movers with Commitment"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by woodardhsd, Jun 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    I finally got around to calling about my movers connection upgrade.

I told her I was hoping she could give me a deal similar to the new customer deals ($24, and $5 credit for 12 months), since I'm paying around $95 for 1 HR22, 1 H21, total choice + HDDVR, locals and HBO. New customers can get this for around $65.

She said that was only for new customers, and could give me $10 for 6 months, and I pushed it a little more and she changed that to $20 for 6 months. I told her I was OK with that if she threw in the DECA install for free, and she agreed. Went ahead and completed the order, and set up my install for next Friday.

After I got off the phone I logged in to my account to see if the credit she gave me was there. I looked at the order page and saw this "Movers with Commitment" I attached a picture of my order page below. Didn't feel like calling back since I had already been on the phone over 30 minutes. I wasn't aware there was a commitment involved in using the movers connection. She never even mentioned it when talking about the free DECA install.

Attached Files:

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    You got quite the deal!!....but didn't know about the commitment required either.

If you plan to stay in the new location with DirecTV for the 2 years...it should not be much of an issue...if its a problem...perhaps call back and get it clarified.

3. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    The 2 year commitment is common knowledge to those that have used it. I've used it at least 5 times within a 5 year span, I had to agree to a two year commitment each time, not that big of a deal. It only extends your commitment to a max of two years, if there is 6 months left it only adds 18 months.
    Not a bad deal for a free install.

4. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    No, it's really not that bad of a deal for a free install, but why the hell don't they say anything about it in their terms?

5. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006

Is that what you are referring to?

6. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    Say what.. that there's a two year committment? It does...

"Offer requires a program agreement of 12 months for Standard Receivers and 24 months for Advanced Receivers Receivers and 24 months for Advanced Receivers(HD receiver, DVR, or HD DVR) of any DIRECTV(HD receiver, DVR, or HD DVR) of any DIRECTV base programming package priced at $29.99/ mo. or above), or any international service bundle (lease required, must maintain DVR service and/or HD Access). Lease fee of $5/mo for second and each additional receiver. DIRECTV System has a feature, which restricts access to channels. To remain eligible, DIRECTV account must remain in "good standing" or bill credits will cease. must remain in "good standing" or bill credits will must remain in "good standing" or bill credits will cease. Residential customers only. "

7. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    WOW - that's alot of moving.

I've moved just once in 16 years.

8. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009

Yeah, but you didn't bold far enough back. Thats under the Equipment Upgrade Offer

The CSR didn't say anything about any commitments until I asked her about the free HD receiver upgrade. Since there was no way to guarantee I'd get the newest model HD receiver, I told her I'd just keep what I already had.

9. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Then she was at fault, but normally to upgrade a lease charge is added $199 depending on the equipment. So it is a free upgrade with a two year commitment, again a sweet deal.

10. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    Now I'm confused. I didn't get any new equipment. I'm taking my existing receivers with me. Are you saying it doesn't matter that I didn't get new equipment; I still have a 24 mo commitment? I guess I should call back and try to get a H24.

11. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    I would, it wouldn't hurt. Hell, until you posted it I didn't know about the free upgrade, I would have jumped on it.

12. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    The free movers connect is just that.

You move your boxes, they come and install a dish and life goes on.

There are terms and conditions with the stars and showtime offer, did you ask about them or just accept the offer?

When you start wheeling and dealing and pushing and prodding for free stuff, and the CSR tries to make you happy by adding things that are not a part of the movers connection who knows what button they had to push to make that happen and what strings it comes with.

Quite frankly, all the I want, I want, I want, WAIT, I got screwed posts we see here makes me wonder if Karma isn't in full effect.

13. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    :biggthump:biggthump

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Exactly right. By pushing for a bigger discount (one that you weren't really entitled to), the CSR may have had to use an offer that required a commitment to fulfill.

A standard Mover's Connection, with no receiver upgrades, does NOT have a commitment. But if you upgrade any receivers (and your MRV upgrade may require this), than that comes with a commitment.

15. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    Sure are a lot of haters in here. :nono2:

I called back to check. The "commitment" was there because I still have 6 months left on my original 24-month commitment when I upgraded to my HD-DVR. The CSR said there was no added commitment because of this order. :D

Why all the hate for trying to get a good deal? It boggles my mind. I didn't DEMAND anything, I politely asked. The deals they are offering new customers are crazy right now, $29 off for 12 months, $14 off for the next 12 months after that, 2 free HD receivers, Free HD, Free install with MRV, etc. I figured I'd try to see what they could do for a 5 1/2 year customer. Am I stupid for wanting to try to save some money?

16. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    So if you would've called back to check on the situation instead of complaining on a message board everything would've been fixed? 5 hours of complaining and wondering for nuthin.

17. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    Something like that. I know my first post sounds like a complaint, it was supposed to be more of a question.

18. xceebeex

xceebeex Legend

Jun 17, 2010
    You are the second person that I saw post that. Do you, or anyone else have any more details? I tried to get that for mine (which is still not installed at the moment but they said I did not qualify but couldn't tell me what would make me qualify.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I actually commend you for having the courage to come back and post your updated information and results.

Obviously there may have been an easier path to follow at first...but lesson learned. No harm, no foul (and no hate). :)

20. woodardhsd

woodardhsd AllStar

Jan 19, 2009
    See attachment. Haven't talked to anyone on the phone about it, but this is what I added to my cart as if I was a new customer.

Attached Files: