1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

movie ratings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by harmil2, Apr 11, 2009.

1. harmil2

harmil2 Mentor

Nov 22, 2003
    I recently came over from Dish to Directv and really glad I made the change except for one thing...no movie ratings. I really miss this as Dish had ratings listed for most movies. I just hate watching a movie for 20-30 minutes before realizing it just plain is going nowhere and going on to the next one and often having the same thing happen again. I am thinking I might as well dump the premiums and rent dvds after researching critic reviews but I still will miss the convenience of having a 1-4 star system right there in the info from Directv. While I don't always agree with the quality ratings (critics are tough on scifi) it helps me not waste time on the worst clunkers. Is this an issue for others? Any interest shown by Directv in adding this info?

2. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    never ever heard a mention of that here.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I never rely upon movie ratings - if there's a movie I'm not sure about based upon the guide info, I'll look it up to get a more detailed plot summary (not review) and then decide whether I think it might be worth viewing. There are way too many movies getting low ratings that I've enjoyed or getting high ratings that I can't stand.

Would never have any use for something like this.

4. MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    I have also learned not to judge a movie by the description given in the guide.

5. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Seems to me we USED to have ratings in the listings, back when I first started with DirecTV in '97 ... (??)

6. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Comcast has (had?) those movie ratings. Pretty much worthless IMO.

7. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I don't see any down side to having them on the info screen.

8. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Long ago there was a thread of comments from people who wanted this.

It would be nice to have another source of info about a movie's quality, but I use the web and Leonard Maltin's book as somewhat of a guide.

My biggest complaint about movie descriptions is the fact that major plot points are sometimes revealed in the description, spoiling a surprise halfway in the movie.

9. jfeheley

jfeheley AllStar

Oct 4, 2007
  10. lonewoolf

lonewoolf AllStar

Nov 21, 2005
    This is a major weakness if you are a movie lover. Not only do they not show a rating system they also exclude a lot of the Cast. So the Movie info is almost barebones in comparison to the S/A TiVo. I have both and I rely on the S/A for the most complete info about any program.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Before watching just about any movie, I read the reviews at dvdtalk. Much more detailed and informative than a rating system.
    I'd have no problem if they added a rating system, but IMO it wouldn't be worth much. What is it rating? Plot? Acting? PQ? SQ?

12. donm

donm Legend

Aug 19, 2003
    I switched to Directv from Dish a few years ago and that was one of the things I sort of missed. I'm a huge movie buff and I didn't rely on the rating it was just something I looked at to see what Dish rated the movies. I'm not sure where Dish got their ratings but I wish Directv had movie ratings.

13. harmil2

harmil2 Mentor

Nov 22, 2003
    I appreciate all the comments. I really miss the ratings but apparently I am in the minority. I do agree the star ratings are not always accurate but when I am in a hurry it is really nice to have them available. I always ignore the 1 1/2 star movies and try to catch all the 3 star and above movies. Ya, I have run into some overrated clunkers but all in all avoided a lot more and enjoyed a lot of movies I might otherwise have ignored. I often check further on the 2 star movies as a lot of good, or at least entertaining scifi/horror gets dumped into this category. Scifi assumes viewers can temporarily suspend a bit of our logical thinking in favor of our imagination...I don't think most reviewers get or can easily do this so they knock a star off from the start for this category.

14. John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    Having changed from Dish to Direct about a year and a half ago, one of the things I've always missed is the amount of detail, including ratings, in Dish's program descriptions.