1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie star ratings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jmillecpa, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmillecpa

jmillecpa Mentor

Jul 17, 2003
    I recently switched from Dish to Direct and have been generally very pleased. One thing I miss the most is the star ratings of movies that is available from Dish, rating movies from * to ****. With so much content these ratings really help to cull through the movies available. I wonder why Direct does not use this system. The local cable company also uses the rating system.

2. ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    Beats me but for what my opinion is worth(not much), I don't put any faith in star ratings because my tastes in movies are different from the folks that rate them.

I have watched "one star" movies on regular television years ago(huh?) that I really enjoyed.

3. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    Dish and the cable cos most likely use the "star rating" system for direct marketing and user specific advertising purposes. Personally, I prefer to be left out of such gimics.

4. Kevin Dupuy

Kevin Dupuy Godfather

Nov 28, 2006
    Perhaps DIRECTV didn't think it's customers really care about what Joe the Film Reviewer thought about a movie... they are rarely ever useful.

5. KurtV

KurtV Legend

Dec 21, 2006
    Check allmovie.com for quick and dirty film ratings. You'll get a decent review as well.

6. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Yes I seem to find the movies I like the reviewers don't :rolleyes: I don't know who has the bad taste me or them :D

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Actually, the program listings in the DirecTV program guide don't contain "star" ratings because the originator of the listings (Tribune Media Services) doesn't include them in the program guide data they distribute.

8. AlexP

AlexP AllStar

Apr 11, 2006
    I figured that D* would start putting star ratings in the guide since they started with the Leonard Maltin reviews on the PPV channels, but for me it's fine that they don't. I trust only one reviewer, and that's Roger Ebert. I'll usually comb through the movies, pick out a few that I might want to see, then check Ebert's website and decide which ones I want to Tivo. I know a lot of people like to knock movie critics, but Ebert has turned me on to a bunch of great films I might otherwise have skipped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.