1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Moving client from one room to another

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by booboo, Jul 29, 2013.

1. booboo

booboo New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I have the genie and 2 clients. Outside by the dish I see one connection slot where a coax can be added. Can I add a coax cable to that switch (I guess you call it a switch). That way I can run that coax from the switch to the 3rd bedroom. Then during football season, will it be possible to borrow one of the kids clients to the master bedroom. I don't want a third client because it wouldn't get used any except during football season. I think that describes what I'm trying to ask. I apologize if its a jumbled mess. I'm not sure what I'm asking so I hope someone can see what I'm asking lol. Thanks in advance!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What does the label on that "switch" say? I'm guessing it's actually a SWM Splitter. If so, then yes, you can run another RG6 coax cable to your 3rd bedroom to use with one of the Genie Clients.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What does the label on the "switch" indicate that it is?

If it were truly a switch (unlikely), it would have at least 12 ports on it.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And be sure to use the terminator that you removed for the new coax to replace at the unused coax inside. . . use a coax 'bullett' - screw terminals on each end.

SWiM splitters come in 2, 4 or 8 ports - it's better to use the smallest possible - and have a green label on them.

5. booboo

booboo New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Ok I looked on it. It says on it that it is a "SPLITTER SWM 4 WAY" Has one coax in and 3 out. So I'm guessing from the post on here I'm good to go, to add a 4th coax out to my 3rd bedroom. Thanks again for the replies.