1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Deals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ndirishkmk, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ndirishkmk

ndirishkmk New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I'm moving soon and seeing a lot of awesome new customer deals for Directv. However, I am a current customer so I don't qualify. What kind of deals has everyone gotten? I've currently got an HD-DVR and an SD-DVR. I'm looking to get either a total of 2 HD-DVRs or whole home DVR with HD receivers. I'm only looking to have boxes in 2 rooms. Any recommendations on how to go about negotiating? Is it best to call and threaten to move to Xfinity (my other option in the area)?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You might be able to get the SD box upgraded and whole home installed through the Movers Connection.

3. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    As dpeters11 mentioned, it might actually be best to start with movers connection. And what they will do, really depends on how your account is rated, how long you have left on your contract and how many discounts and free offers you have already been offered. The best thing to do is call and ask. If movers connection can't do anything, you can call and try a CSR. If that doesn't work, say I'm thinking of switching to Infinity.

They should send you to a retention CSR. Don't start off threatening to leave. Be nice, tell them your situation and what you want. Mention you were thinking about an offer from Infinity, but really prefer to stay with DIRECTV. Then see what they say. I just got an HR34, with MRV for free that is being installed this Saturday. I've been a customer for over 3 years, out of contract and started having problems with my HR22. So they basically replaced it with the HR34 and I had to commit to 2 more years.

4. ndirishkmk

ndirishkmk New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Thanks!! Any particular box I should ask for? Is the HR34 a good one to pair with whole home DVR?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The 34 is the only one you can request specifically. It's a good box, has a lot of extra functionality but still some bugs they are trying to work out. It is behind on firmware, still on the SD GUI.

6. CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    I just did Mover's Connection. Added the 34 and two other HD receivers, installation of a new dish (new house didn't have one). Cost to me $100.

7. CurtP

CurtP AllStar

Jan 8, 2008
    I just did the Mover's connection too. The only thing they'd give me was a free install of a new dish and another reset of my "customer since" date.

I've been with DirecTV since 1999, but every time I move, they reset it. This is the 4th time they've done it and I think it's done so I don't qualify for free upgrades/discounts. And there's apparently some derogatory remarks on my account now since I complained about the date reset and how bad the install was. Lovely.