1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Moving External HD

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by jckelsey, Apr 29, 2014.

1. jckelsey

jckelsey Cool Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I have an external hard drive attached to my 722 receiver with all of my 'keeper' shows. I want to take that drive to our new house, which is a hopper/joey setup. When I plug the drive in, it says 'nay' because the new house is actually a different account (under my wife's name). Dish support says you cant move the drive between a 722 and a hopper regardless of who the account is under...which seems ridiculous ot me. Is that really the case??

Thanks all!

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    No, that's not the case at all. You can use the EHD from a 722 on a Hopper just fine. But the EHD is tied to the account number, and since the new home has a new account number, your current EHD's content won't be playable or useable on it.

3. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    The type of DVR you hook it up to, is pretty much an irrelevant issue here. Dish external drives' contents are encrypted with a code that is tied to the account that they are used with. You can't move an external drive to a different account. If you have already closed out your old account, then I fear you have also effectively lost all your recorded shows on that hard drive.

4. jckelsey

jckelsey Cool Member

Oct 18, 2007
    The account is still active. Is there any way to get this data moved?

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    move back to 722, swap internal drives between 722s, make new EHD transfer ...

6. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    In real time transfer the programming to DVDs. You made the mistake of trying to beat the system with a new account for discounts now you will pay the price with lost programming.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Your 722 is on a different account than your Hopper/Joey. As others have said. This is the problem and there is no way around it. The EHD is encrypted according to the account it is on and can only be shared by other receivers on that same account.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    while it's looks like making beef from ground beef, but it's practically possible using a method in post#5

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    No, it isn't.

First off... this person doesn't have another 722. He has a 722 on one account and a Hopper on another.

Secondly... if he opens leased receivers to swap hard drives he would risk incurring penalty fees from Dish when they discover he was messing with leased equipment. He didn't say whether or not he owns his equipment. Assuming that your suggestion works, it would only be available to a small portion of Dish customers that own their own receivers.

Thirdly... assuming your solution does work, it would seem to be a violation of terms of service bypassing encryption to swap content from one account to another... and I do not think that is something we should discuss any further.

10. jckelsey

jckelsey Cool Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Correct, only a single 722 and a hopper on a different account. I didn't know if was just a matter of calling Dish and saying 'I want to move this EHD to a different account'. No worries if not, I have a workaround. Thanks for the replies all!

11. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]jckelsey,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Based on the configuration you are explaining, you cannot move an EHD from one home to another DISH receiver on a different account. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Here is the reason why, any DISH receivers in your home are under the same key code. When you go to another home they will have a different key code specific to their account. If you have any further questions please let me know and I am happy to help you! [/SIZE]