1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from DTV, Inconsistent Infor from Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by GracieAllen, Dec 30, 2016.

1. GracieAllen

GracieAllen New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Minnesota
    I currently have DTV, and of course, it's going up a bunch next month. Called regularly over the last couple months and keep getting told there are NO discounts available and keep trying to give me HBO or something I don't care about. SO, time to go to Dish...

Currently have
    Genie that records 5 channels and ability to watch on 3 TVs in home.
    HR24 in RV that records 2 channels and ability to watch on 1 TV in RV.
    Local channels in the home.
    AM21 (or whatever the DTV thing is for getting OTA channels) in the RV.

I need to do the same or equivalent thing...
    Local channels.
    Home - Ability to record at LEAST 5 channels. Watch live tv or recorded shows on 3 TVs.
    RV - Ability to record channels while traveling OR watch channels previously recorded at home - whichever works. And watch them on the single TV in the RV.
    Ability to get local channels on the road (some kind of dongle?) OR have Dish let me connect to local channels wherever we are.

Called Dish. Transfer, hold, transfer, get a warm body. Wants a BUNCH of personal information. I told her what we needed and was told "The ONLY way I can provide ANY information on discounts is to do a credit check." I was disinclined to have her do so, and was told "Enjoy your high bills" and she hung up.

Called again, went through same process, got different body. This time I was told "There is ABSOLUTELY no way we can put both your HOME and your RV on the same account. You have to have TWO accounts."

Called a Dish affiliate. Guy said "ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM." Put a Hopper 3 at home and 2 Joeys on the other TVs in the house. Put a wireless Super Joey in the trailer and any time you have a Dish signal it'll let you WATCH THE PROGRAMS BEING RECORDED AT HOME...
    Price, including tax, fees, and whatever other BS they've come up with was $115.36 guaranteed for 2
    years.....

I"m gonna go do some research to see if I can find out exactly what the hopper, joey, super joey and such can do, but I figure I'll tap into the experts here too...
    SO, who's zoomin' who? Dish says it can't be done, affiliate says no problem...

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If the affiliate actually told you that I would not trust them.

The Super Joey will not work separated from the Hopper (it adds tuners to the Hopper that it is connected to over the coax in the home).
    The Super Joey will not work with the Hopper 3.

By DISH terms of service you should have a separate account for your home and your RV, although DISH does sell "tailgater" arrangements where one receiver (non-DVR) can be added to a Hopper account and taken on the road. The intent of the "tailgater" is temporary use ... not a permanent second residence. (That is the term of service one runs afoul of on DISH and DIRECTV when not having a separate account for the RV.)

You can do five channels at home with a Hopper w/sling plus Super Joey, or two Hoppers, or a Hopper 3. You can also do five channels with a single Hopper if three or more of those channels are ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC. I'd recommend more than a single Hopper.

Yes, DISH's offers require a credit check. If you want to pay full retail for your equipment and get no discount on service I believe you can sign up without the credit check. But they are giving you hundreds of dollars worth of equipment and installation costs. They want to know that they will get paid.

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You can have a VIP 211 on the same account as a Hopper for use in your RV, of course it requires a separate and different lnb (D1000.2 WA or EA) or a tailgater than the Hopper. The VIP211 can be converted to a DVR by paying a 1 time $40 fee for activation and thereafter incurs no DVR fees.

4. GracieAllen

GracieAllen New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Minnesota
    I went out and rummaged around to figure out what pieces did what...

From what I understand, the Hopper 3 will do 16 concurrent recordings. I presume even if 4 of them have to be ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC that the other 12 could be any other channel. Am I correct?

I was told that the RV would have a wireless super Joey that would operate independently and allow me to select shows from the home recordings on the Hopper 3... BUT, when I talked to Dish today, they said the same thing said in here - Nope..... Which doesn't seem to make much sense 'cause if I DID sign up based on being able to use the wireless super joey to view recordings made at home when we're on the road (which I would insist on receiving details of what the equipment would do), and IT DIDN'T DO THAT, I'm thinking there'd be some phone calls and I suspect the contract would go away.....

Anyhow, I got a person at Dish who DIDN'T need to do a credit check before providing a price, and told me the way they COULD set us up was with a Hopper 3 at home with 2 joeys, and a 612 in the RV to run the tv there. And we can get a Hopper Go to carry recordings with us...

Which is virtually identical to what I have with Directv, and the price is virtually identical too. So, I'm going to hold a few days 'til we come off contract and see if Directv wants to keep us or not.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you get a Hopper 3 for the home, there are some options for remote viewing in your RV that haven't been mentioned.

The Hopper 3 has built-in sling technology, which means you can watch live TV or recorded programming from your Hopper 3 via Internet connections on your mobile devices or a laptop. I don't know if any Internet-capable TVs support this directly, but many laptops and mobile devices support video output to a monitor/TV... so you might be able to remotely stream content from home while in your RV as long as you have sufficient Internet upload capability at home and download capability from the RV.

There is also a Hopper Go device that lets you offload a bunch of DVR content to it and take that on the road with you. The Hopper Go then connects to your TV for viewing of that content.

Also, there is a feature within the Hopper 3 to transfer recordings to mobile devices too. And there's Dish Anywhere that lets you watch a lot of On Demand content via streaming as well.

Depending on your viewing needs and Internet capabilities... you might not need an actual receiver for the RV. The Hopper 3 has 16 tuners, and if you use one of those for the ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC on a single-tuner feature, you could theoretically be recording up to 19 different SAT channels at the same time!

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    There is no such animal as a wireless Super Joey.

There is a Super Joey which MUST be connected by wire to a Hopper, it adds 2 tuners, but is not stand-alone capable, it must be wired to a Hopper.

There is a wireless Joey, but it too is a slave client to the Hopper.

If you want a device in your RV that can play programming recorded on the Hopper while you are away from home, you must use a Sling connection or the Hopper Go device mentioned above.

If you want an independent receiver in the RV - add a complete VIP211+EHD to your Hopper account - it is allowed specifically by Dish.

7. Jan 1, 2017 #7 of 19
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    16 simultaneous recordings of any channel. If you're recording ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC at the same time they will share one of the 16 tuners and you'll still be able to record 15 other things at the same time. Plus one more OTA channel (received via an over the air antenna) if you can get a tuner module (they are hard to find at the moment).

You can view what you are recording or previously recorded content. If you want to view something live that isn't being recorded that will take up a tuner (although ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC still share a tuner whether recording or viewing live).

8. Jan 3, 2017 #8 of 19
    GracieAllen

GracieAllen New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the replies.....

I've read the stuff I found on the Hopper 3, and the replies in here, and I'm still confused... Currently, I have a Genie and can record 5 channels concurrently. So, for example, at any given moment I MAY be recording, CBS, NBC, FOX, Food Network, and Discovery. Or CBS, ABC, PBS, CW and watching DIY. Am I going to be able to do EXACTLY the same thing with the Hopper 3? It was said in here that the local channels will use 1 of the 16 tuners. Does that mean I can only record one local channel at a time or can I be recording ALL of them concurrently?

And, when we're on the road, once we get far enough away, we don't HAVE local channels. With Directv we got an AM51 that takes OTA channels and sends them to the DVR in the trailer so we can record them - though only 2 concurrent channels of any type. Does the OTA thing from Dish do the same thing - let me use the trailer antenna and feed the local channels wherever we are (presuming there are any) to the Dish DVR in the trailer?

I understand from Dish that I can call and give them an address and get the local channels where we are, but we often move pretty frequently and I presume Dish would get tired of getting a phone call every 2 or 3 days?

We have a Winegard 1518 that is supposed to work with Dish. BUT, as far as doing anything from the internet, that's a problem. We're on Verizon, which means NO unlimited web use, and high data charges. On the other hand, it actually WORKS wherever we've been. Past attempts when we have both Sprint and T-Mobile were wretched failures. We couldn't get a decent data signal in a LOT of the places we were on EITHER the T-Mobile or Sprint phones, while the Verizon was happily zipping along... SO, unless the campground has good, functional wi-fi, which VERY FEW of them do because of all the other people streaming (if they have wi-fi at ALL), we're limited to what we can carry with us. But, it sounds like the Hopper Go would work. And if we luck into a place with working wi-fi I can stream to the laptop and feed it to the tv by hdmi connection.

The person I talked to at Dish didn't mention anything about a VIP 211. How does that differ from a 612? And which SHOULD I get for the RV? I just went out and looked and there appear to be at least TWO VIP211 units, a VIP211k and a VIP211z. Am I correct that they work the same and the "z" is just more current and faster?

Winegard also mentioned a "Wally", as ANOTHER unit for the RV... Here's what I want to do... Sit in East Overshoe with things connected. I want to RECORD at LEAST 2 of any channel, whether local through the OTA thing or something from the satellite. and WATCH 1 recording on the TV while recording... SO, from among the 612, VIP211, and Wally, which of these do this? From what I've found it SOUNDS like the VIP211 and Wally can ONLY record one channel at a time... There were discussions of a NEW Wally that can record 3, but it sounds like vaporware... SO, to do what I have above, which thing do I need in the RV?
    AND if I need an external hard drive, does it have to be anything magical? I've got spare 1TB 7200rpm hard drives here if I can just reformat them and use them with whatever is in the trailer.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  9. Jan 3, 2017 #9 of 19
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    THE 612 cannot be used with a HOPPER system!!!!!!!! Only the 211/211K/211Z and Wally can be used in conjunction with a HOPPER. The WALLY is just the latest version of a 211 type receiver. They are all single satellite tuner receivers so one channel at a time is all that can be recorded. 211 & 211K have OTA tuners built in the 211Z and WALLY have accessory OTA tuners like the AM 21 they are in short supply. Hopefully a new OTA module will be announced at CES and the dry spell will end.

If you want Directv features stay with them, If you want DISH you will have to change your viewing and adapt to the way DISH does things.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You can record or watch ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC at the same time. Those four channels will share a tuner leaving the other 15 tuners available for other channels.

OTA channels can be recorded or watched (one channel at a time) but I would not expect to be able to do that on the road. You would need to rescan channels each time you stopped and set up the OTA antenna. The guide data may not be immediately available for OTA channels. You can still watch the channels found in the scan, but I would not guarantee that guide data would be present.

If you are (appropriately) using a separate account for your RV you can have a larger receiver than the 211/Wally level receiver. Changing addresses for satellite locals would change ALL of the receivers on your account. If you try to use one account at home and on the road you will likely lose locals at home. (Not to mention violate Terms of Service by not having those receivers at your service address.)

12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Why are you so paranoid about letting them run your credit? That's just a myth that won't die. It doesn't affect your credit score AT ALL unless they do a hard pull which they shouldn't be doing. You can do all the soft pulls you want. Even a hard pull does almost nothing to your credit score unless you do a lot of them in a short time and even when you do that, it generally gets grouped together as a single pull under "rate shopping".

Besides, Dish gives you better deals if you have better credit.

13. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Honestly this being made far harder than it needs to be. If you won't do a credit check you will have to buy your own equipment, which makes zero sense - unless you won't let them run it because it isn't good credit. If that is the case then you would need to buy your own. Generally what DISH told you is correct if you were talking about only Hoppers and Joeys, and I have to believe what you thought you heard from the affiliate isn't what was said because it's ridicules.

This is the basics.
    Get a Hopper 3 if your credit allows for it, and two Joeys (They can be wired or wireless) for three rooms of viewing and 16 tuners. (The Major Networks can record on one tuner also).
    If you do not qualify for the Hopper 3 you will need to either get the Hopper 2 with three tuners and get two of them and one Joey - and if credit isn't good you may need to buy one of Hoppers - or go to the VIP series of receivers.
    For the RV you can get a 211 (I don't recommend the Wally) on the same account, it will not work in the house with the Hopper system, it will work in the house with other VIP receivers.

14. GracieAllen

GracieAllen New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Minnesota
    "If you want Directv features stay with them, If you want DISH you will have to change your viewing and adapt to the way DISH does things."

You're going to have to elaborate on exactly WHAT "Directv features" are incompatible with Dish such that I'd have to "change my viewing and adapt to the way dish does things"?

House: 3 tvs. Record at least 5 channels (local and/or cable), watch recordings on the tvs, watch live tv (local and/or cable) on the tvs. Seems pretty basic...
    RV: 1 TV. Record at LEAST 2 channels (local and/or cable). Watch recordings on the TV. Watch live tv (local and/or cable) on the tvs. Seems very basic...

I'll await elaboration on precisely what sacrosanct Dish capability I'm attempting to violate.

The 612 has nothing to do with the Hopper. Hopper is at home. 612 or 211 or whatever is in the RV. Couldn't care less which it is as long as it can do what's listed above. On the same account unless there's a monetary advantage to having two separate ones. If it's cheaper to have the RV separate, fine. If not, then no. If it costs more than Directv, I stay with Directv.

As for the credit check. My credit is fine, thanks. I simply find it repugnant that some of the Dish people refuse to provide real cost information unless I provide them with this additional information. I certainly do not consider it paranoid to refuse to allow them to do a credit check when OTHER dish folks have NO problem providing discount information, so clearly it's AVAILABLE. Even Directv can manage to provide a price without getting information they don't need. There appears to be a consistency problem with the Dish folks that's somewhat concerning.

In any case, it appears I'll have to use a 612 since the others appear to be limited to a single channel for recording.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you want ACCURATE information provide DISH with accurate information.

You have already proven that you are able to find sellers of DISH that do not know what they are talking about (as corrected earlier in this thread). Those that give discount information without performing a credit check are guessing that you qualify. You may not. Despite what you think your rating is or even if you have a high number from some credit agency, the credit check that counts is DISH's.

When some seller promises prices based on a credit rating that has not be run they are setting the customer up for failure. "Hey you can get a Hopper 3 for free (with approved credit)." Did you hear the "with approved credit" part? Because if you didn't and for some reason the credit check comes back lower than needed for "free" and your offer for a Hopper 3 is $100 or $200 you'll be annoyed. You may be annoyed already that there are different prices and offers depending on the credit score ... but once "promised" something for free being charged is not fun.

As far as your proposed system, replicating DIRECTV on DISH equipment and DISH on DIRECTV equipment is not possible. Each system has its benefits and drawbacks. If you really want a system like DIRECTV's stay with that carrier. If you are willing to accept what DISH offers be aware that you will not be able to replicate what you have today. You can come close (as already explained in this thread) but the two systems are not exactly alike.

16. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Per my understanding, and someone can correct me if im wrong: Dish will not allow the 612 (so you can just forget about the 612) on the same account as the Hopper, but will allow the 211. For the 211, I'd recommend the 211k, heard bad things about the 211z. I've also heard that you CAN call dish and 'change your address' to whatever city you are in (as it looks like thats what you've been doing w/ Directv), and also my understanding, per TOS, if your viewing the 211k in the RV, then your Hopper system @Home needs to be turned off/suspended, as per TOS you cannot be able to view programming in 2 different locales on the same account. But I believe Dish will allow you to do this so that all the boxes can share the same account. And this is just if you wish to do things by the book. Or is what im describing a different kind of account? snowbird?

Now the 211k has a built in OTA input, so if your on the road, you'll be able to scan for locals, and w/ the EHD you can record 1 SAT channel, and 1 OTA channel, thus 2 recordings at the same time, while watching another previously recorded show. This should work nicely so that you wont need to call dish to change your locals with every new city u visit, but again, thats technically a violoation of TOS cuz your hopper system is still "working" @home.

As for the EHD, it needs to be 1tb or less and have its own power source. And you will not be able to copy shows from the Hopper @home TO it. There is a $40 1 time EHD enable fee.

The companion to the 211 is the "tailgator" device that automagically tunes itself to the birds in the sky, very nice, but is not cheap, and will likely be at least 1 expense you'll hafta front.

17. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    This is an example of why it is hard to help you. That sentence is not true and was explained in previous posts. It has everything to do with the Hopper. Just forget everything else and realize there is no receiver you can use in the RV that has two tuners for Satellite if you have a Hopper at home, meaning on your account. The 211 is capable of two tuners one for use with an antenna and one for Satellite and they can be recorded with the addition of an external hard drive. No receivers other than Hopper related (Hopper, Joey etc) or the Vip 211 may be mixed on your account when a Hopper is present. If you want a second account for the RV the sky is the limit.

18. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I got the impression s/he wasn't interested in having 2 separate accounts.

But if that were the case, even better. Go w/ the Hopper @home, and scale back Directv to and RV only account w/ 1 box (no genie). And the nice thing about Directv is they DO offer Distant network service (search DNS for directv), which allows u subscribe to the local stations from NY & LA and view them anywhere in the country. Wouldn't even need the OTA Antennae, cept maybe for digital sub's. Does Directv give their DNS service in full HD now?

19. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yes, the Big 4 are available in HD, while The CW and PBS are SD only. For the Big 4 they use NYC and LA, for The CW they use DC and San Diego/Tijuana, while PBS is the national east coast feed.