1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from Tivo to HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by DocTauri, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocTauri

DocTauri Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    Back when I was hacking the DTivo for fun as much as for added functionality. The key features that I hacked for were (in my own order of importance)
    1. Multi-Room Viewing (transferring shows)
    2. Extend storage capacity
    3. On screen Caller ID

I don't care about extraction, so that was never a big deal.

So my questions are does anyone have any timeframes for the following:

1a. DTV has openly stated that MRV would be available on these units. Does anyone know WHEN? This is honestly the only thing keeping the 5 Tivos in my house.

1b. I don't own, nor have I ever seen an R15, but from what I understand, it's the SD version of the HR20 (same software). Is this the case?

1c. Will I be able to transfer shows between HR20 and R15? I know that you can't watch HD shows on an SD DVR, but will I be able transfer SD between the two?

2. At one time, I understood the eSATA merely allowed you to override the interal HD. Has this been fixed now to allow cumulative storage? (i.e. 250GB internal drive and 250GB eSATA = 500GB of storage capacity).

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the hacking community is like me, and would gladly trade my Tivii in for HR20 and R15's if these were all addressed.

Thanks,
    Doc

2. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Multi-room viewing is not out yet.

The R15 and HR20 do NOT use the same software. They have a very similar UI. You cannot transfer shows between any Units at present.

Using eSATA is an override not and addition.

3. DocTauri

DocTauri Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    Thanks for the info. Any idea if/when these things may be *rectified*?

Thanks,
    Doc

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I wouldn't hold my breath for any of them.

MRV between HR20's is at best a rumor with no solid foundation that anyone has documented or qualified. In other words, it may or may not happen. If it does, I imagine it will be a ways down the road, as there are several other things they are specifically working on that are not yet available.

MRV between HR20's and R15's is even less likely. While I wouldn't say impossible, I would say very unlikely.

I do not know where the eSATA capabilities stand.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.