1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving, getting a new setup, question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by just1pepsi, Mar 16, 2013.

1. just1pepsi

just1pepsi Cool Member

Sep 18, 2012
    So I bought a house, am at the end of my contract and couldn't resist putting new service in my wives name to reap free Sunday ticket and extra innings. Anyway, I was given the option for the H34 and 5 of the mini clients. I of choose did no research prior but it seems you can only watch a total of three live streams? Is that true or am I misunderstanding? Is it not possible to watch unique programming at the genie and at each of the five clients?

2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    If just you and the mrs, 5 tuners should be sufficient.

If other circumstances, please post and we'll see what we can come up with for you.

3. just1pepsi

just1pepsi Cool Member

Sep 18, 2012
    The six total rooms are: master bed, three kids bed, living room, den. My three kids are 5 and under, and went necessarily be trying to watch stuff independently from my wife and I which are usually in the living room or bedroom. I expect the den to be pretty much 24/7 kid programming. My sticking point is the I feel all rooms should be able to watch love programming whether or not sometime wants to, and I'm confused in that their website would build a configuration that seemingly won't do that.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    My advise, swap out two to three of those C31s for a combo of H/HRs if you really want peace when everyone is viewing at the same time.

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    3 kids under 5 and you have time to watch tv ??

:lol:

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The Genie can serve up to three clients at a time. So, you can watch up to 4 live programs at a time (as long as one of those programs is being watched on the TV that is connected directly to the Genie). If you want to be able to watch programming at all 6 locations in your house, you will need to swap out at least two of the clients for receivers that have a built-in tuner.

Also, keep in mind that, if you're recording on the Genie, each recording takes up a tuner. So, if you have 3 shows recording, you only have two tuners available for viewing live programming.

7. just1pepsi

just1pepsi Cool Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I ended up going with the Genie for the Living Room, one client per kids room, an HDDVR in the Master Bed, and an HD receiver for the Play Room. I've had DirecTV installed several times, and I must say that the installer who did this install was by far a level above. No cut corners, no nonsense, and everything was setup as it should be. I had to do absolutely nothing afterward unlike my previous installs. Not sure if I just got lucky, or if DirecTV has really changed its ways recently.