1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving later this week

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ron mexico75, May 21, 2013.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    So DirecTV will be coming out Friday to set up the new house. When I called in to set up to move the representative said I qualified for the Genie and 2 mini genies at no charge.

This is going to be new to me because I have had an HR 21 since 2006.

I was just wondering if there is anything I need to know, any useful tips or information, am I going to enjoy it?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Some like the mini clients, others don't. Benefit is pause/rewinding live TV and full menu management of the Genie (history/to do list etc.)

Downsides include:
    When on live TV or in the buffer, a client uses a tuner from the Genie.
    If there is an issue with the Genie, the clients are a paperweight until the Genie is up and running.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You will enjoy it. The Genie should be faster than your HR21 and the ability to record 5 things at once is nice. You'll also have a lot more recording space as well. With the mini-Genies, the nice thing with those is that you can monitor and control all your recordings from any of your TV's and not just from the TV with the Genie as well as having full Trickplay capability (Pause, FF, RW).

- Merg

4. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to that. Sounds pretty different than what I've been used to the past six years.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I replaced my HR24-500 with a new Genie last week. It comes with a larger hard drive, faster channel changing and extra features like PIP and Genie Recommends. You're going to enjoy it.