1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving...lots of questions w/ 1 week until install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by eapeas, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mar 6, 2009 #1 of 32
    eapeas

eapeas AllStar

Mar 14, 2007
    Hey y'all, the gf and I have been reading the forums here for the last 2 hours and we think we have some things answered, but we still have some (and some new) questions. Here is our situation:

We currently live in Henderson, NV. We are moving next week to NW Las Vegas. We currently have a 5LNB dish running 3 -HR20's and 2-older receivers (non-DVR). When we moved in here, we had the installer run a 2nd cable for each of the HR20's so that we could use both tuners.

When we move next week, we are going to deactivate all the old recievers and only have the 3 HR20's, for now, but will be adding a 4th (hopefully a HR22/23, but a dual tuner HD DVR regardless), in a couple of months.

So, prior to us reading on here tonight, we had thought that we were going to have to hire someone to wall fish 2nd lines into each bedroom and the living room. Each room (each of the 3 BR's and the living room) is wired with one coax line that is run up to a central j-box in the master bedroom closet. The coax from outside goes from the side of the house, up into this j-box and then individual coax's are run to each individual room. We have since read about the SWMLine and the SWM-8's. Here is where our questions start:

• The house we are moving into does not have any dish installed. Can we expect a SWMLine?
    • If we can expect a SWMLine dish, does that mean that one coax will be run from the dish to the side of the house where the existing line from outside is, connected to that line, and from there, the line is split at the j-box (using hardware that the installer provides)? Meaning that no cable, whatsoever, needs to be run except from the dish itself to the existing cable?
    • If we DO get a SWMLine dish, do we need the SWM-8 to do the splitting so that each room/DVR has only one physical coax run to it?
    • If we do NOT get a SWMLine, what do we do then? Do we then HAVE to buy a SWM-8 if we don't want to physically run a 2nd coax to each DVR?
    • Can our internet connection (COX) be run on the same line as D* with the new SWMLine or SWM-8 hardware? If not, are we stuck going either DSL or running another coax from outside into each room?

I guess the big question we have is whether or not to purchase a SWM-8 ourselves or not? And if we have to/should, will the installer install it for us or am I doing that?

I know there are a ton of questions, but maybe this can help other folks in the same boat in the future. I hope all of this is clear and y'all are following me. We greatly appreciate any and all feedback you can provide. Thanks!

2. Mar 6, 2009 #2 of 32
    gregchak

gregchak Legend

Jan 8, 2007
    I am in the exact same situation. We are moving and have an installed planned for tomorrow. I asked the CSR when I ordered if they would install SWM or a SWM-line dish and she kept saying slimline :) In any event, I will be in a 1940's house that does have 1 coax wiring in the rooms where I would want TV but am getting DVR's in those rooms. I am hoping, fingers crossed, that they bring some sort of SWM setup with them. I will post back what happens to me, but if anyone else out there has had similar setups/installs I, and I'm sure the original poster, would love to hear what happened or suggestions to get a SWM setup done and done right. Thanks.

3. Mar 6, 2009 #3 of 32
    Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    They will not willingly give you a SWMline on a Movers Connect. The installer may opt to use it if he has a few to spare due to 4 DVRs. Granted 4 DVRs will max out the available tuners (8) on the SWM. To add more you would need either another dish or run two SWM8's in parallel.

New cable is almost always ran from a new dish. If for nothing else than to ground the dish and avoid a repeat service call for replacing that cable down the road.

You do not need a SWM8 if you get a SWMLine only a SWM Splitter.

If you don't want the 2nd lines ran, and they won't come off of a swmline. Your options are to either run the DVRs with one tuner or buy a SWM8.

No you cannot share the line w/cable internet and DTV. Any DTV HD will be buggy at the least, and your internet will suck tremendously.

Buy a SWM8 if you don't want the 2nd lines.

4. Mar 6, 2009 #4 of 32
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Best bet is to find out who the local installation company is and give them a call beforehand. If you find that they won't give you a SWM or SWMline you can just buy one to have on hand before the install. If you get a tech who's familiar with it I'm sure he won't mind installing it.

5. Mar 6, 2009 #5 of 32
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I second Tcusta00's advice. If the installation company does not seem willing to install a SWM, and you choose to buy your own, you have a choice. You could just buy the SWM LNB and ask the installer to use that. Or, you could buy a SWM8 and have the installer use it with the non-SWM LNB he brings. The SWM-LNB will be less expensive, but as mentioned, it locks you into a max of 8 tuners on that dish. With the SWM8, you can at least add another SWM8 or WB6* multiswitch in parallel for more tuners. Personally, I'd go with the SWM8 for the upgrade flexibility plus they tend to have fewer problems than the SWM-LNB's (although the cold weathers issues plaguing some SWM-LNB should not be an issue for you).

6. Mar 6, 2009 #6 of 32
    eapeas

eapeas AllStar

Mar 14, 2007
    Thanks, everyone. We called D* and they were unable to give us a phone number for the installer, but they were able to give the name of the company that does it. We looked up that business (Ironwood Communications) and got a phone number...which was not answered. Left a voicemail, though. Oh, by the way, the number that I called and the number that was on the voicemail message wasn't the same...should I worry about that?

Anyway, if we go ahead and buy the SWM-8, will the installer be able to install everything needed? Or should we buy the 1x4 filter to go with it?

Thanks for all the help!

7. Mar 6, 2009 #7 of 32
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    First of all, deactivate the non-SWM-compatible receivers BEFORE calling in your Mover's. Though there are no guarentees, chances are much better of getting a SWM LNB if you have no legacy receivers on your account. With them active, your chance of a SWM is zero.

DirecTV only provides SWM LNBs, not external SWM-8 modules. The SWM LNB supports a max of 8 tuners (i.e., 4 DVRs).

8. Mar 6, 2009 #8 of 32
    eapeas

eapeas AllStar

Mar 14, 2007
    Thanks for this advice. We called D* Moving and deactivated all the non SWM-compatible receivers and he scrapped our old work order and issued a new one so that he could help our chances of getting a SWM LMB. We're going to go ahead and order a SWM-8 in case we can't get the SWM LMB. Do we need to also order the 1x4 splitter, or will the installer have one that's compatible with the SWM?

Thanks again, guys.

9. Mar 6, 2009 #9 of 32
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The installer will probably have splitters, but if not, you can get them at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack, or BestBuy. Although the SWM doc will say it requires a 2Mhz-2Ghz splitter, the 5Mhz-2Ghz models almost always work just fine.

10. Lucifferr

Lucifferr Cool Member

Mar 7, 2009
    If the installer has the SWM LNB on his truck, he will most likely install it for you, even though his work order may say to install a legacy LNB with a 6x8 switch. It is much less work for him to install that SWM LNB and use only the one line per receiver. The only reason he may opt out of installing the SWM LNB for you is if he wants to make some money on you by fishing lines into your walls.

11. gregchak

gregchak Legend

Jan 8, 2007
    Well I had my install yesterday. I had asked the CSR when I made the order to put a SWM Line dish in the work order, but as I thought, she did not, or chose to not, understand me. The installer came out with a regular slimline dish. He "just happened" to have a SWM line dish in his truck. But, since it was not on the work order he could not give it to me.... but I could buy it from him. The upgraded dish and a pole mount install cost me $100. Not too entirely upset over that, just annoyed that the CSR screwed up my order. There always seems to be that disconnect between DirecTV and their installers.

Anyway, I got the SWMLine dish installed and it all works great. The installer went through how the setup works in pretty good detail; in case I would need to change any of the wiring in the future. My setup is a SWMLine dish, a 2-way splitter, a R22 and an HR23. Both DVR's running on 1 wire with 2 tuners.

I did opt for the service plan, just because the SWMLine technology is fairly new and I am new to it also.

12. Lucifferr

Lucifferr Cool Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Why would he give you a 2 way splitter? You need a 4 way splitter, since you are using 4 tuners, 2 on both DVRs. Even though you have one line running to each DVR you still need that 4 way splitter for both tuners on each DVR to function properly. Hence, the need for a 4 way splitter.

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    not on swm system, sws2 splitter will cover all 4 tuners on swm system.

14. Lucifferr

Lucifferr Cool Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Not sure that is correct. Although The DVR only takes one line for both tuners, it takes up 2 spots on the splitter. Hence, to use the 4 way splitter for 4 tuners on both those DVRs. I believe that 2 way splitter is meant for 2 non-DVR HD receivers, as in the H2x series receivers.

15. gregchak

gregchak Legend

Jan 8, 2007
    David MacLeod is quite correct. The splitters in a SWM setup are for splitting the cable run, not the number of tuners. The SWM itself handles what gets sent over the wire. The splitters are simply logistics. I can confirm this as I have a 2-way splitter, one run going to a DVR each. Both recognize the SWM and dual tuner setup. If you would need a 4-way splitter for 2 DVRs, that would defeat one of the purposes of SWM. This was specifically my reason for wanting a SWM setup so that I wouldn't have to try to fish new, second runs for my DVR when I already had a single run there.

16. Lucifferr

Lucifferr Cool Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Then I stand corrected!

17. MrLatte

MrLatte Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    If I was you I'd buy the DirecTV-approved SWS-4 splitter from someplace like Solid Signal or Weaknees just so you have the correct hardware on hand. It's about $9-$14 plus shipping.

http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv.php
    http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SWS-4

18. eapeas

eapeas AllStar

Mar 14, 2007
    I feel like it's a little late in the game to order it...

We already ordered and received the SWM-8 from Weaknees.com (and for some reason, I expected it to be much larger than it is...that's a good thing that it's smaller than expected). With it being Wednesday already and the move being on Monday, we're gonna have to roll the dice that the installer will have the needed splitter(s). Thanks though!

19. gregchak

gregchak Legend

Jan 8, 2007
    Just a little side note here. When the installer was putting in the dish I was more concerned with the placement and line of sight and wasn't looking at the dish itself. I noticed a couple of days after that, that it is a single "head" dish. I know it has multiple LNB's in it, but there is only 1 white receiving head on it. It threw me for a second, then I remembered that all of the only channels that were still out on 110 or 119 were the HD's in the 70's and they have since moved. I checked the signal meter through the receiver and it only registers 99(c,s), 101 and 103(c,s); it also has a reading for SWM satellite though I'm not sure what that is. I don't know why they still need such a large dish for a 2 degree span of satellites. So, I have a single head SMW-line dish installed. Just thought I'd pass it along.

20. eapeas

eapeas AllStar

Mar 14, 2007
    Got a return phone call today from Ironwood Comm (the installers) and we discussed the upcoming install we have. D* did not put in for a SWM LNB (thanks D* :/), so I am going to have to use the SWM-8 I bought...c'est la vie.

They also mentioned that depending on what cable is run thru the house (RG-59? or RG-6). They said that if it's RG-59, they would have to run new cable to each location ($49 per outlet wall-fish). The house was built in 2006, so I'm hoping it's the latter, not the former, obviously.

So other than that, they said they'd be out to the house Tuesday...everything sound 'right' to you guys? I'm a bit miffed about the non-SWM dish, but so goes life. Otherwise, I'm satisfied, going in at least, about the install. I won't be if I have to have them do 4 wall-fish though....