1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving my power inverter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by luscombe, Jul 17, 2013.

1. luscombe

luscombe New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Georgia
    This weekend I wanted to move my Directv service from my down stairs bedroom to my upstairs office, when I moved it I got an error code 775. When I call Directv I was told I would have to pay a service fee and have a technician come out and move it for me, is there any way I can do this myself.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Put the Power Inserter back where it was originally and it will work again.

1 person likes this.
  3. Combat Medic

Combat Medic Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    What you have to do is figure out which of the coax lines now has the power injector and move that line to the power passing port on your spliter.
    [​IMG]

4. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    What side do you put the power supply IN or the OUT.

I know the answer :righton: , maybe you should put that in your post.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If the above doesn't answer your question, please post back with more info.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The power inserter must be connected to the output with the red line that ends at (lower left in the above picture). Whether that is inline with the DVR that you moved or some other way, the PI must be connected to that output and it must be powered.

1 person likes this.
  7. luscombe

luscombe New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Georgia
    [SIZE=10.5pt]I only have a 2 way splitter, I got everything working by going back to the original configuration. This doesn't answer my question, how can I move my power inverter and [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Standard Receiver[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] from my first floor bed room to my second floor office without call and paying a technician.[/SIZE]

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You need to tell us what is there now in terms of wiring, cable, etc. where it connects to. Have you ever had a receiver there?

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is imperative that we know why you have a splitter, among other things as Laxguy suggests.

If you're trying to set yourself up so you can move the receiver back and forth on a whim, it is a whole different ball game than a permanent relocation.

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You moved the PI off the coax line that power the SWiM. The PI should be on the red plug/jack-connection all the way back to the SWiM.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As post #2 mentions, post the power inserter back where it was and just move the receiver by itself

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    This is the key. Is there already DirecTV wiring available in the location you want to move your receiver to? Tell us your complete configuration, all receivers, all coax runs, etc. Confirm you have 1 coax coming from the dish which then goes to a splitter. Out of that splitter you have two coax lines, one to the receiver you want to move and where does the other one go?

In order to move the receiver to your other location, you need a coax run from that location to the splitter. Disconnect the coax that goes to your original location and hook up the coax that goes to your new location. Then hook the power inserter and receiver up to that coax just like they were hooked up in the original room. It should work.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and don't use power INVERTER !!!

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, but I am sure everyone knows by now it's a power inserter. But if you turn it upside down, it is an inverted inserter.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    upside down ? did you try already ?

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I personally would never invert my inserter. But for those who do, there's nothing wrong with that.....

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm glad there is no harm could done. :)

18. luscombe

luscombe New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Georgia
    OK guys here's what I have,

[SIZE=medium]Slim line Directv dish SWIM on dish[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Single coax cable into[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]SWiM 2-2150 MHz[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Splitter SWM 2 way[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Coax cable connecter size PPG EX6 10[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Out to DVR in living room[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Out to Power Inserter Model P121R1-03 21V output 1.2A in bedroom[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]To SWM ODU only Tuner Mod HD25-500[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]I want to move the bedroom tuner up stairs to my office[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I have a SWS4WB-WNC 4 way form a previous installation.[/SIZE]

19. luscombe

luscombe New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Georgia
    I inverted my inserter so the green light wouldn't keep the wife awake at night.

20. luscombe

luscombe New Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Georgia
    I did all this, my house is pre wired with cables going to all the bedrooms and living areas. When I moved it that's when I get the error code 775 & I called directv and they said the inserter was programed for the bedroom and a technication would have to come out to move it for a small fee. I tested the cable after moving the inserter for voltage at the splitter out side and it had the required 21 volts in case you think I used the wrong cable.