1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving & Need to Cancel - What To Expect?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gator5000e, Aug 29, 2013.

1. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    My lease is up and I am moving to a condo located on the 10th floor of a high rise. The management company will not allow a dish to be bolted into an exterior wall nor be attached to the railing on the balcony. And even if a dish could be attached to the railing, say, there is no way to run the cable from the dish into the unit (as far as I can tell) without drilling into the exterior wall to run the cable inside - also not allowed. So it looks like I have to cancel after 17 or so years with D*. I really do not want to, but it looks like I have no choice. The local cable provider is Brighthouse and their equipment is awful.

Anyway, what would be the best way to proceed? Call to have the service moved and let a tech come out and confirm that the service can't be installed without cutting and drilling and such? Or just call them straight off the bat and tell them what's up?

Also, what am I looking at for the different cancellation options?

I am getting depressed just thinking about it!!!

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'd try the straight skinny first. They may know the building, may not.

Sorry to hear this, my condo won't allow either, so I spend most time in the country.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'd go with Laxguy and call first and see what they say.

However, did you know they have flat RG6 made to go under/over windows or under doors. No drilling required.

That with a non-penetrating mount that sits on your deck, all you need is LOS.

Check out solidsignal.com.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'd go with Laxguy and call first and see what they say.

However, did you know they have flat RG6 made to go under/over windows or under doors. No drilling required.

That with a non-penetrating mount that sits on your deck, all you need is LOS.

Check out solidsignal.com.

Exactly. As for canceling service, in order to get out of a commitment without penalty, you need to have a tech come out and confirm that you cannot get LOS.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

5. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, that's stupid. Not what you said, but with some buildings, it's not LoS, it's the impossibility of mounting a dish. At the same time, maybe it's to check up that the person is indeed now resident in such a building.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, that's stupid. Not what you said, but with some buildings, it's not LoS, it's the impossibility of mounting a dish. At the same time, maybe it's to check up that the person is indeed now resident in such a building.

I believe the only official way to get out of a commitment upon a move is to not have LOS. The reason that the location won't allow the dish to be mounted where there is LOS is not a valid reason, as far as I know.

- Merg

7. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    This is correct. And like others say, you have to actually set up the Mover's Deal order and have the tech come out and say NLOS.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But is the TS truly under contract?

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If you cannot mount a dish, install a dish, whatever, due to how your condo is configured, and notwithstanding OTARD, you don't have LOS. I am seeing that a visit accomplishes a number of things in terms of veracity.....

10. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    Thanks for the thoughts. I will set up a visit to see if there is a way to install and comply with the community rules. If fit can't be installed and D* doesn't want to give me a break after 17 years of business, so be it.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Just to recap, in order to not pay the ETF, the tech MUST "close" the work order as NLOS and not as NLLP (no landlord permission) closing it as the latter, will have an EFT. not my rules, just saying.....

so a "can you do me a favor" to the tech might get you the NLOS

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Landlord permission is one thing; condominium construction that precludes a dish is another.... but I can't fight city hall.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah I'd go flat wire and through a window or sliding door. I did it once before, I'd do it again.

Are you going to own the unit or renting it?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

14. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    I am just renting it. I was watching the US Open mix channel last evening and the matches ESPN 2 wasn't showing and was really getting sad about likely having to leave D*. Oh well. It's only TV, right?

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Gator5000e, dpeters11 mentioned it, but I'm not sure you saw. Are you under contract with DirecTV right now? IF you haven't had any upgrades in the last 2 years you would be out of contract and it shouldn't be any problem cancelling service at all. You just call them up and tell them you need to cancel.

If you are under contract, then the other guys have given you good information. Particularly peds48, I'm sure a $50 handshake would be certain to get you a NLOS cancellation with no early termination fee.

That said if you really would like to stick with DirecTV have you thought about a non-penetrating mount on the balcony? If you have LOS and your balcony is big enough that along with the flat cables to go under windows might be a good solution.

16. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    I wouldn't even know what to order. Would the installer know? And this non-penetrating mount, can it withstand storm force winds if it's not bolted down? I live in central Florida, after all!! ;-)

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
  18. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    Like this? Not sure that would stand up to a good central Florida thunderstorm.

Attached Files:

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, :righton:

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, DirecTV even now has a taller mast to use in situations like yours