1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Moving SlimLine 30 FT

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by PtownBubba, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1 of 54
    PtownBubba

PtownBubba New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Illinois
    I have a Slimline dish connected to 3 HD receivers [ H23-600, H20-100, H21-200 ]
    I had some trees removed, so I want to relocate dish closer to house.
    New mount J-mast is level/straight with the world, old mount has a scabby tailpipe adapter so dish would fit [ Dir TV install, not mine ]
    I am thinking it may be ,,,,,,, not quite perfect straight. My Sat. signals recd. on receivers now, are , 99c 99s 101 103s 103ca 103cb. All channels are from 85 to 95,, most 90+ strength.
    So a move of 30 ft, north, 15 ft east,, a couple ft lower,,,,,,should 'not' change much except the azimuth, correct ? I have a signal meter [ SF-99, and just found my old Pico Peaker PP-1450 meter]
    That I could use to get close,,,,, then fine tune with receiver. There are 4 coax lines coming from LNB-s,, to multiswitch, [ 2 connected to 13v label and 2 connected to 18v label on switch ] then 3 coax lines going to receivers. If I use the meter, which one of the 4 LNB coax lines do I connect the input of the meter to ? Or connect to each one of the 4, and peak each one ?

I am thinking this sholud be an easy re-locate,,,,, I have done a few standard dish setups,,,, but this HD/local aiming has me a lil' nervous.
    Just tryin' to save 50 bucks,,,,, and I am sort of an outlaw and would like to try this move myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attached Files:

2. Jun 5, 2013 #2 of 54
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Well you have already done a better job of mounting the dish than the DTV installer did. (although it is not up to code)

3. Jun 5, 2013 #3 of 54
    PtownBubba

PtownBubba New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Illinois
    thanks,,,

whose code,,,, D-TVs ????? Like I said,, the "tailpipe special " was done by a D-TV guy,,,,several years ago
    ] I only had long support brackets,,, so angle down supports,,, instead of up,,was all I could do,, 2 1/2 pipe set in about 3FT of concrete,,,,, house ,,will sheild a lot of wind wiggle,,,,maybe,,,,
    better than mounting on my cracker box house,,,,,

4. Jun 5, 2013 #4 of 54
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    perhaps those 50 bucks you spend will save you hours upon hours and get a job well done.I would have DirecTV do this one

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

5. Jun 5, 2013 #5 of 54
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Any surprises underground at the new location ??

gas line? sprinkler system? electrical feed? phone? water line? ancient Indian burial ground?

6. Jun 6, 2013 #6 of 54
    PtownBubba

PtownBubba New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Illinois
    geez,,,, 50 bucks will buy a lot of cold adult beverages,,,,plus,,, it is an adventure,,,,
    I have set up a few of the old 18in standard dishes,,,, no problem,,, but this "beeg" one has me a bit intimidated Perhaps, I could mark the azimuth on old mount, so I could move it back if there is a failure to launch on new mount. Then call D-TV to move it.
    About a month ago, I had a service call,,, my one rec. was not getting any HD channels,,, the D-TV guy changed a couple coax connections, and replaced that coax dongle/adapter at the rec. I asked him if he could move it,,, he said no,, that would take a different work order #,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ????????????? Why he could not call and get that number,,,,,and then simply add the 50 bucks to my next bill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?????????? who knows,,,,, I would get the move done,,, D-TV would save on not making another trip, and still make the 50 bucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, someone with a higher education must make policy. Policies are fine, but many seem to disregard common sense.

Nothing surprising at the new post, set in concrete 3 + feet in ground. No Indians sighted, I am in Illinois, not Cleveland.

New post/J-mount is straight
    My 61277 zip code settings ,,,, now ,,,, are set to 79 degree tilt ,,,, 41 Elevation, looking at Sats 99 101 103
    Knowing all that,,, I am wanting to bite the bullet and give it a try,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

7. Jun 6, 2013 #7 of 54
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you have set up the old type dish in the past you probably can do it.
    Just be aware that the target area you are aiming for is much smaller than before because of the type of broadcast signal coming out of the 99 and 103 sats.
    All moves need to be very tiny.
    There is a long procedure for doing this somewhere on this forum.
    Basically you move it side to side to get the best reading you can on the 101. Then do the same with the elevation. Go back to the side to side once again. Once the 101 is as good as you can get it, then check the 99c and the 103 ca and cb numbers. Very tiny adjustments can be made to make those better and usually not mess up the 101.
    I have only ever done 1 of the Slimline dish and it wasn't too bad.
    I did not use a meter. I used the numbers on the TV screen and a helper relaying the numbers to me at the dish as I adjusted it.

Watch video 3 here about aligning. It is an older dish and they use a meter but it shows some good stuff.
    http://www.solidsignal.com/p/?p=2699&d=directv-ka-ku-dish-installation-videos&mc=02

8. Jun 6, 2013 #8 of 54
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    An advisory to readers here:

this procedure can result in a murder/suicide

!rolling

9. Jun 6, 2013 #9 of 54
    supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    just do it................!! you will not have a problem, the distance you are moving will not bring a lot of changes in the settings (maybe none) . if you don't loosen the bolts for skew or elevation all you will need to do is turn till you find your signal and then tweak for best signal.

good luck..................... :up:

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    An advisory to readers here:

this procedure can result in a murder/suicide

!rolling

While I agree 100%, for those who have time it could be an interesting experience

11. PtownBubba

PtownBubba New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Illinois
    Cool,, thanks guys,,,,,, I am no Sat. expert,, but not afraid to try,,,, how bad can it be,,,,,,,

Interesting that the replies are from go ahead and do it,,,, to you will never be able to do it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I will recruit a couple buddies,, and a 12-pack,,,, not much else needed,,,,, :)

Thanks again for all the input,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, !!

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Just remember to move it a tiny bit, give it a few seconds to pick up or increase the signal before moving it again.
    If you are mechanical minded and patient you can do it.

Watch the Video first !

13. PtownBubba

PtownBubba New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Illinois
    thanx again,,,,,,,, yup watched the video,,,,

I put some markings on the old mount, so if all goes wrong,,, I can put it back.....
    As mentioned,,, the only aim I may need to do is the azimuth,,,,, if I get a decent signal with just that,,,, then if I get brave enough,,, I can tinker with the elevation,,,but if I strike out with just the e-w aiming,,,, I may throw up the white flag and surrender,,,,, and put it back and call D-TV,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no fun in that,,,,,

14. PtownBubba

PtownBubba New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Illinois
    I think I was told I did not need the multiswitch with 4 or less receivers,,,,, if true,,,, just use any 3 of the 4 LNB coaxs,,,, no particular order ?
    This is how mine is now,,,, will never need more than 3 or 4 receivers,,,

[​IMG]

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You keep showing the 99,101 and 103 sats, but you show a Slimline 5 dish that would also get the 110 and 119 sats ???

16. PtownBubba

PtownBubba New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Illinois
    well,, ok,,,, here is the deal with that,,,,

I get Sat channels,,,, HD channels,, and local channels , now,,,,,, in my setup/signal strength screen on the receiver these are the only Sats displayed,, 99c 99s 101 103s 103ca 103cb. I think I read that the 110 and 119 sats are foreign language,,,,,, but,,is there neat stuff I am missing or not getting a signal from ????? I even recall the original installer,,,,,,,,,, mentioning or asking me if I wanted foreign channels or something,,,,,,,, but,,,,, that was the guy who put the tailpipe adapter on j-mast too, maybe I am being short-sheeted,,,,and have been forever,,,,, jeepers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe they should move,, re-aim,,, the dish for FREE !!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Plus a couple free PPV movies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ?????
    My plan: CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC
    • Over 210 channels
    • Local channels included
    HBO
    Showtime
    HD Extra Pack

Additional info:

Sat 119 All Locals up to Ch 69, then not much for me,,,,

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/directvusa119.html

17. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Only if your 4 receivers are NON DVRs.
    Or 2 DVRs max.
    The Slimline lnb is only a 4 Tuner max!

Otherwise your need the WB68.

18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    The 119 is only Needed for Spanish Programming and SD locals.

If a customer lives in an area where their SD locals are on the 119 and/or they have SD receivers on their account then they will get the Slimline 5

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The 119 is only Needed for Spanish Programming and SD locals.

If a customer lives in an area where their SD locals are on the 119 and/or they have SD receivers on their account then they will get the Slimline 5

There is also some religious channels as well as some mono music tap channels and some "obscured" shopping channels on the 119

20. PtownBubba

PtownBubba New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Illinois
    So, to sum things up,,

1. no need for Sat 110 or 119 yes or no

2. No need for Zimwell wb68 switch since I have 3 HD receivers and no DVR-s [can still add another receiver without switch, or upgrade one existing receiver to a DVR ; with another coax run ] yes or no

3. Remove switch , and just randomly connect each lead from the LNB-s to each receiver coax,,,,, and just hide the 4th coax for later possible use. yes or no

4. With a couple buddies and some beer,,, I can move dish form old ,,to new location,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no sweat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright ? mostly yes or maybe no

I even have a brand new in box Zimwell SAM4402-3a 4x4 multiswitch,,,, ???why I do not know ???