1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Tampa FL have a few questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by la24philly, Dec 20, 2010.

1. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    Hi, I'm moving to Tampa from Philadelphia in April. I had a few questions as regard to the channels and programming in FL.

I currently have MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP and NFL TI so I'm paying almost a grand a year on sports programming like most of you guys.

It will be a relief to watch my philly sport teams without being blcked out due to the hell comcast has over philadelphians..

But what I wanted to know is I noticed that not all games are on tv in the fla area.

I noticed that panthers and lightening sometimes they don't televise a game. So if the game is available on NHL CI and being broadcasted by the other team are you still blacked out? If I read the rules right, the game is blacked out to protect the local broadcast for that teams territory. So if their is no local broadcast does that lift the blackout?

Also I noticed that the 2 sports netwrks are sun sports FS Florida and my zip code will be 34689

Now FS Florida does rays marlins panthers magic Sun does Heat, lightening

I'm assuming with me in tampa, I'll get rays, marlins, lightening and magic and will have to watch the others on sports packages.

Just trying to get a Idea on the tampa area. Also the weather I know hurricane season can be tricky and have family in NJ if need be to flee for a few days but does the rain TB gets is the reception still pretty good. I know they get alot of T Storms

So if any lives down there i appreciate a few tips living down there

2. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes, the few non-televised Lightning games are available via Center Ice.

Correct.

Fade during rainy season is a bigger issue down here than for most other areas, no matter how well-peaked your dish is (and the look angles to the sats are nice and high from here, so siting the dish is easier). But the outages aren't really that frequent, and most often happen during non-primetime viewing. Still, having OTA access is useful, and using a UPS for each DVR is also a good thing.

3. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    bwaldron thank you good citizen. i wonder if they have i guess like the latest or best dish used in weather type areas. I know tampa gets violent fronts from time to time in the summer with a ton of rain.

Do they have a dish thats super good, I dont mind getting the best equipment if it means better picture.

4. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Standard Slimline works fine. With the narrow Ka-band beams used for HD these days, a bigger dish (even if available) wouldn't buy you much of anything -- signals drop from 100 to 0 (and back) pretty quickly when weather passes.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You might want to read this thread concerning your pending move: Tampa Hurricanes

6. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    thanks, My friend lives in ocala and he says by the time storms come up theyre not much of a hurricane.

Oh what are the alignment and correct way of pointing the dish to make sure its all ago.

Lastly I also wanted to comment my friends in jersey had directv and they must have had several techinicans come out over a period of 4 months because the picture kept going in and out and pixelating.

at first the dish wasnt installed right and I guess they said in the end the proper electricity might have been the problem if that makes any sense. They lived in a oooold house I guess and while to the naked eye electric sees fine.

So when i have it installed I will ask those questions and have it properly installed and ask what do I do when it gets out of alignment

Also should i buy all the equipment or does directv rent?

What is a good box to get or Dish, I don't mind paying for extra for better quality.

7. psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    i am pretty sure you tell directv you are moving and they take all your equipment there, or setup similar equipment at the new place.