1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to "cabled" home

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Doug E, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug E

Doug E Legend

Jul 6, 2002
    The home is prewired in most rooms for cable. I do not know if it is RG6 or 59. My question is which should it be for my DISH 721, and can I connect my Dish 500 cable to the outside cable connection to receive the signal on my 721?

2. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    I say if it was done in the last 7 or so years it is RG6.

I had prewired cable in my place to because I use to have cable. the isntaller just ran the dish rg6 right into the rg6 that the cable company had ran.

The key is to make sure you are not running into any splitters. as sometimes if cable goes underneath the house the cable company likes to stick a splter don there and split the cable off from there into the different rooms.

3. Broadband Lab Rat

Broadband Lab Rat AllStar

Nov 3, 2003
    Either type of coax will work. Both are 75 ohm cables. The main difference is that RG6 uses foam inside for less loss. RG6 is a better choice, but not usually necessary. You should be able to do what you planned, but you may have to disconnect some rooms internally... ie, only have the inside run active that goes to your 721 directly...

4. cameron119

cameron119 Legend

Feb 2, 2004
    Everything you said except, "RG6 is a better choice" and "Both are 75 ohm cables" is false. There is plenty of RG59 that uses foam dielectric. The dielectric material determines how much the impedence will change if the dielectric is crushed (resistance to crushing) and the center conductor is pushed closer to the shielding. RG59 not only has a smaller center conductor, but typically has much less shielding than RG6. Dishpro standards call for RG6. Sure, it may work, but no one will support you if you have issues. Since Dishpro uses bandstacking, it's almost essential that you utilize RG6 since it is extremely superior to RG59.

5. stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    You should not try and skimp on cabling even though it should be rg6. do the the lack of installation on rg59 you loose more signal strenght per foot than you do rg6. Dishpro lnb and switches require it I seen dish pro stuff act up before it just not pretty and it was all cause by someone running rg59 from an old leagacy install back when that was ok but a great thing to do. Worst part about it it was an installer that did it. I was just floored as I had to point out the rg59 to him. ( I was at my nieghbors house) and then he was still like so cable is cable. Then I pull out the damn manual for a 301 system and in the back with the wireing diagrams. where it states dishpro is not to be use with rg59 and that the standard for it was rg6 then he replaced the cable but he should of done that from the get go.

6. greylar

greylar Legend

Oct 31, 2002
    I'm not an installer so take this for what its worth but I ran about 20 ft of RG59 from a DishPro LnB to a 721 receiver and never had a problem.

G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.