1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to MRV - Losing my H20's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by BobGeeX, Nov 9, 2010.

1. BobGeeX

BobGeeX Cool Member

Jun 1, 2007
    I have just ordered MRV with internet connection and after thinking about all the stuff the CSR told me yesterday I just realized that two of my receivers won't work and will be replaced when the install happens on 11-22. Having the H20's replaced causes me some heartburn as these receivers have the Off-Air tuners inside which I do use when I take these receivers with me occasionally to my lake house over the summer. Will the install tech take these receivers with him or are they considered obsolete and I can keep them and reactivate them again next summer when we take our vacation? Or, would I be better off just adding another receiver to my configuration and having it not on the network?

2. Kodok

Kodok AllStar

Feb 9, 2008
    It all depends if you 'own' or 'lease' the H20. You call DirecTV to check the status of the receivers.

Or you can always get AM21 with new receivers.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually, even if you own the receiver, the upgrade will cause it to be swapped out.

If you want to keep one of the H20's, you will need to add an additional receiver and deactivate the H20. This will also only work though if you own the H20.

- Merg

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Just buy the AM21 OTA Tuner and be done with it.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Guessing they are trying to keep their packing to a minimum...

- Merg

6. BobGeeX

BobGeeX Cool Member

Jun 1, 2007
    I really want to stay with a single box for the OTA functionality. Does anyone know if Directv will leave the old receivers when they do the upgrade? If I add a receiver to my configuration, i.e. one of the H20s, will it work with a SWM dish?

7. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    First thing you want to do is simply call and ask what status they are. If they are owned you are good to go, don't let the installers take em. If not and they are leased, it wouldn't hurt to ask what it might take to own them.

There are also used owned H20's on ebay for just over 20 dollars, though you will probably have to buy a new access card for 20.

I've found it handy as heck to have around for when one of the HR's goes down and I just activate it for while the replacement is coming

8. BobGeeX

BobGeeX Cool Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Arrgghh! Called Directv to find out if the H20s are owned/leased and as I expected they are leased. Asked the CSR if they would take the old H20s with them on install and he said yes. So, I told him that I wanted to keep one of the H20's and not have it included in the network. Then he told me that my existing order did not include the WHDVR functionality - only the Cinema kit and it would cost me another $100 to get all the parts I needed. then he told me there is no way to not change out both receivers as the "system" would not allow it. . . . So, not wanting to get too frustrated, I asked to talk to a supervisor and after going through the whole scenario again, the super understood the objective, deactivated one of my H20s for five minutes while he processed the order and then turned it back on. Furthermore, he gave reduced my cost to $100 and was willing to add it to my bill - nice gesture for someone who's been a customer for 13 years. Still had to go through the verification drill where 3rd party hears you tell them you'll be around for another 2 years or pay them $20/month.

Anybody know if the non-networked H20 will require a band stop filter? Will these be on the truck or will I need to get one?

9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You will need a BSF. They should have them on the truck.