1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to Satellite...need help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dmmatic, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dmmatic

dmmatic New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    I need your help. I have been using Tivo for 8 years and beside that I have never used DirecTV or Dish. Although I was/am very happy with what Tivo had to offer my new Tivo Premiere died and I since I am out of warranty I do not want to pay $99 for a new unit and $20/monthly or $150 for refurbished unit and keep my current plan. Although, I don't think their offer is too bad, I already paid once in full for a new box and when I compare Cox cable rate that I am currently paying I think I can get a good deal with DrecTV or Dish.

I just have few questions for experts instead of sales people...

1. I have only one coaxial cable line coming to my TV box, and since my TV is kind of in the middle of the first floor, running additional line will create additional expense. So my question is, for HD-DVR with the satellite, will I need one or two lines in order to watch/record 2 shows.
    2. Can I transfer any files from my computer so that I can wants them on Dish/DirecTV DRV-s
    3. Can I use YouTube on Dish/DirecTV DRV-s
    4. With Tivo you have Thumbs Up/Down, does Dish/DirecTV DRV-s has anything similar?
    5. For people who used both Tivo and Dish/DirecTV DRV-s, anything cool features that satellite DVR has and Tivo doesn't?

2. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm going to answer for DirecTV seeing this is the DirecTV section.
    1.) DirecTV's SWM system allows for only one coax run to an HD DVR. The signal is split internally in the HD DVR, kind of like cable TV.
    2.) Not that I know of.
    3.) Yes, you can stream YouTube on the HR24 assuming you have the cinema kit connected to the internet or you have the receiver directly connected to the internet.
    4.) Not that I know of with DirecTV.
    5.) Its a lot cheaper than Tivo and DVR service is billed per account, not per box.

Make sure to take advantage of all the great unadvertised stack-able offers when you sign for DirecTV. Send me an email (no PM) if you would like to learn more.

3. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
  4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    On number 3, you can play video files that are on your computer (you can't transfer them to the DVR drive), but I believe the DVR is limited in what it can play natively. You may need to transcode from your PC.

5. mattgwyther

mattgwyther New Member

May 22, 2007
    Regarding #4 Pre recording suggestion based on thumbs up thumbs down isn't available on DirecTV, although I've heard they are working on making suggestions based on your viewing habits

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yes and if you select a show and go into its "more info" tab, there is a section there called "You Might Like" which is a selection of related programming that may be of interest.

7. mattgwyther

mattgwyther New Member

May 22, 2007
    Remember Fight Club Rules..

8. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Now, on the Dish side...

1. Dish uses Diplexers and Separators (fancy splitters) to use one cable runs for multiple things, like 2 sat-in and one TV-out.
    2. No, but you can connect a camera to view pictures on Dish's HDDVR.
    3. Yes with a Logitech Revue add-on module.
    4. No, unfortunately.
    5. Pretty much cost, same as with DirecTV.

9. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    what programming do you like to watch? If you like sports and lots of HD directv is your best bet.

I have had directv for 3 years and it works great.