1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Moving/Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TDockUSC, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1 of 21
    TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Hey guys. I'm seeking some advice on the best way forward for me.

My current setup:
    2 HR21-100s connected via ethernet cable and router
    Whole-home DVR
    Premier
    Customer since 2008

I'm looking to upgrade to an HR-44, keep my two current HR-21s and add one or two genie clients for a total of 4 or 5 connected TVs.

In addition, I just purchased a new home less than a mile from my current home and will close early next month. These upgrades will be for the new home (or the current one and then move them next month if that works better.)

What's my best bet for getting these upgrades at my new home with lowest cost?

2. Jun 7, 2013 #2 of 21
    goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Best bet is setting up a movers order and doing the upgrades when you move. There is no guarantee you would get the HR44, just a Genie. Other than that it should be rather easy to get what you are looking for. Give them a call now and see what all is available. You may be able to get the Sunday Ticket free with the move.

3. Jun 7, 2013 #3 of 21
    TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Thanks.

I thought the movers deal was only available if you were moving at least a certain distance away. It applies to in-town moves also?

4. Jun 7, 2013 #4 of 21
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yes

5. Jun 7, 2013 #5 of 21
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    No matter if you get a HR34 or a HR44 it will be worth it. With everything you are wanting, you will need a SWM16 so the movers deal should be perfect. Hope you do get free Sunday Ticket out of it. As I understand it, the movers deal triggers a new agreement but if you are getting new equipment that would to, Might as well just get it all out of the way at the same time.

6. Jun 7, 2013 #6 of 21
    TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Thanks guys.

I've had Sunday Ticket since 2008 also and always get a good deal. You think I should bring up Sunday ticket in talking about the move?

7. Jun 7, 2013 #7 of 21
    joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Absolutely. I would start by saying you want to use the movers program for your move and that you heard they were giving away Sunday Ticket free with it and see. If they don't go for something else like Showtime free for a year. They will usually give it.

8. Jun 7, 2013 #8 of 21
    TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Last question:

Can I just call the regular CSR line for this deal?

9. Jun 7, 2013 #9 of 21
    joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Their site says to call 1-888-DTV-MOVE (1-888-388-6683).

10. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Just saw that myself. Should have checked before I asked.

I really appreciate all the help. Thanks guys!

11. joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Welcome to DBStalk. That is what we are here for. Happy to help.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Be absolutely certain you understand and budget for the monthly costs involved in what you propose.

By my off-the-cuff calculations, in the long haul you'll be paying at least $43/month in receiver/DVR/WHDS fees for the four TV configuration.

13. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Yes, you could move from Apartment 101 to Apartment 102 and still get the moving offers. I'd tell my customers the mover offers is anything covered within the United States. Back with NFL Ticket it is not free with the move if it is set to auto renew this season.

14. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    Didn't realize it would be that high. I already have Whole Home DVR. What are the other additional fees?

15. TDockUSC

TDockUSC Cool Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Myrtle...
    I'm not too concerned about Sunday Ticket. I usually call in and haggle in August anyway.

16. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Yup free retention offers happend in August at the latest. :)

17. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Or you could move without the moving offer from Apartment 101 to Apartment 102. Just call customer service update your Directv address. Your mailing address could be a PO Box. And a few days or weeks later move back to Apartment 101 and get the moving offer for Apartment 101.

1 person likes this.
  18. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Bahaha! Genius

19. VelvetUn

VelvetUn Mentor

Aug 2, 2007
    I called this week for the movers deal and had to ask for every single upgrade that is in the commercial (Sunday Ticket, Genie, movie channels). I've been with D* since 2004, have an HR 24 & 21 with whole home and have had Sunday Ticket for the past few seasons.

I called the moving hotline and they processed me without asking about any of the items that I thought would be included. You may have to ask for each thing, or decide what is most important. Getting the Genie does start a new 24 month contract.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    An upgrade on leased equipment always has a contract. That is one thing that they can never override.