1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3s crashing HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tony Chick, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Legend

Aug 24, 2006
    I tried playing some MP3s that I'd downloaded from eMusic.com last night and it crashed the HR20 twice. It would be playing just fine, no dropouts or glitches and would suddenly stop and show a "Cannot access Media" message. I'd press OK and at that point the box was dead, unresponsive to the remote or front panel and needed an RBR. Its a -700 running 0x168

I'm connected via a Linksys Wireless bridge to WMP11 on a dual-core Vista machine.

Anyone getting MP3s to play reliably?.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes... many people have. (I have played entire albums with no issues)

Have you tried other MP3's ?
    Could it be possible with something the mp3 from eMusic ?

Also... the HR20 doesn't play the MP3 directly.
    It playes a converted version, that your media server (WMP11) creates and sends to it.

3. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Wait a few days for the later CE's to go National and I think your problem may go away. I'm not having any trouble with WinXP and WMP11 on a 3.2 gig P4. Earlier versions (national) did not fare as well...lots of lost connections, inability to play more than a very few minutes (less than 5), etc. That is no longer the case for me.

Keep in mind, they are doing a LOT of work on MediaServer, so it will get steadily better.

4. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Are the mp3s thru eMusic DRM protected? If so there is your problem.

5. gblues

gblues AllStar

Dec 8, 2005
    eMusic's music is DRM free.

6. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Legend

Aug 24, 2006
    As gblues says, eMusic is DRM free and these same mp3s play fine on my Walkman-Phone and Creative player. It happens after a random period of time so I suspect the HR20 just isn't dealing with some network issue. Whatever the reason, it shouldn't hang the machine which is really my point.

I'll take Hasan's advice and just wait for the next national release or two, the whole picture and music playing interface is pretty clunky anyhow at this point, I'm sure it will evolve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.