1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG-4 Issue?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Crypter, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Has anyone else noticed on some of the new HD Channels that whenever there is a dark scene or a not so well lit scene that colors start to look painted and almost a little cartoonish? Is this a side affect of MPEG-4? I have not seen this happening on my HD-DVD movies and they all use MPEG-4. I it because of the lower bitrate?

Anyhow I have a 61" 1080p TV so maybe I just notice it more than some folks.

2. ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7 Godfather

Apr 2, 2003
    If your noise reduction is set too high, that could be the cause as well.

3. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Well I thought that would be the issue so I disabled Digital NR on my TV but I still notice it a little. Although that did help it a bit.

4. RichH25

RichH25 AllStar

Jun 16, 2007
    I have a 60" Pio plasma and have not noticed this. What is the make and model of your set?

5. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Are you upconverting everything to 1080P or displaying natively?

6. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    I have a Samsung HL-R6178W It's a DLP

No, I am converting everything to 1080i (since Hr20 doesn't allow 1080p output)

7. PTravel

PTravel Legend

Oct 5, 2007
    I've noticed the same thing. I'm not an expert on satellite TV, but I do know quite a bit about video. The posterization looks to me like a compression artifact, i.e. the signal may be over-compressed. This is not an mpeg4-specific problem. I've seen it on standard definition DVDs, which use mpeg2. The original Spiderman DVD release has this problem.

8. RichH25

RichH25 AllStar

Jun 16, 2007
    Do you have either DNIe or the Color Weakness Enhancement feature turned on? If so, turned them off. These adaptive systems tend to have a negative impact on a good quality signal.

Also, have you ever had your set ISF calibrated? If not, it can do wonderful things for the picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.