1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG2 HD space available soon?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Fluthy, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    A large amount of discussion here lately has been about DirecTV being slow to add new HD channels and capacity seems to always be pointed to. I believe the MPEG-2 HD channels will be going away in the near future, will this give more space for additional HD channels? or can these satellites not transmit MPEG-4 signals?

2. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    You ask a good question and we won't know the exact answer for a while.

I would guess that the answer may be yes to adding HD in MPEG4 at 101.

But I would not say that they are currently constrained. There is now plenty of capacity available on D10/D11.

Details at http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1191863&postcount=2

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I thought all the MPEG2 HD was spread over 110 and 119, nothing on 101. I checked Lyngsat and I didn't see any MPEG2 HD channels listed there. Since D* appears to be going to only 99/101/103 for 'core' programming to me it looks like that shutting down the MPEG2 HD won't free up any space for new HD, at least HD what D* wants to keep on the 'core' slots.

What they might do is use that space for moving some of the international SD progamming that's on 95 so they don't need a wing dish. Or maybe add some foreign language HD channels in MPEG4 in that space, hispanics are a large population group, maybe their's some spanish language HD channels that D* would put up for that package?

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Technically, there is nothing preventing mpeg4 (or Divx, or analog) from being sent on 101. Directv seems to be retaining 101 slot for KU frequency core SD programming though. Seeings how the channels maps are laid out on D10 and D11, with all the N/A's, I am assuming there could be a second KA satellite positioned at both 99 and 103 to "fill in the blanks". Which would make sense since the newest dish setup doesnt support KA at 101, if they didnt put D12 at 99 or 103, they would have to replace everyones LNB to be able to see it at 101. Im not a rocket scientist, just speculating.:scratch:

5. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    There were a few HD DNS on 101.

They'd also move anything non-core off of 101 once the 9 legacy and 4 East DNS are turned off on 110/119.

Then 101 could do some MPEG4 HD if they wanted.

6. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    The transitioning of the final MPEG2 HD channels is underway. For example you still see Universal HD in MPEG2 and MPEG4. The MPEG2 version will come down in a few months along with a couple of other channels. Then the ESPN versions of MPEG2, TNT will be down in 2009.

It takes awhile to transition customers with the MPEG2 HD receivers and incorrect dish to the proper equipment, but it's in the home stretch now.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    They do MPEG4 on 101 right now. They converted the LA DNS channels to MPEG4 back last spring but kept them on 101 so that MDU's that hadn't upgraded to a 5 LNB dish could still get them.

The sats don't care about MPEG2 or MPEG4, it's just compression. So yes, they could do MPEG4 HD from 101 if they wanted/needed to.

8. cebbigh

cebbigh Icon

Feb 27, 2005
    That's very useful. With approx 22 slots open, assuming 12 or so will go to premiums that leaves about 10 slots for new nationals unless they shed more PPV slots. Is that right?

9. HDRoberts

HDRoberts Godfather

Dec 11, 2007
    This is why I find launch of the 3 LNB (99, 101, 103) dish odd. They have a ton of space at 119 and 110 for HD, but some new customer's won't be able to see them now.

If it doesn't get used to a reasonable degree, Dish could have a good case for yanking some or all the Direct 119 and 110 bandwidth back with the FCC. Of course, with me being a Dish customer, I wouldn't mind that.

10. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    But didn't Sixto already say (in another thread perhaps) that 3 will be part-time RSNs going full-time? That and a couple of HD Mix channels will eave about 17 total slots open until D12, unless some MPEG4 HD can be added to 101.

So, who's up for an analysis of bandwidth at 101 to figure out how much Ku MPEG4 HD is possible? :p

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    119 has a ton of SD content out there, along with a bunch of local spot beams for SD channels so I don't think there's anything to worry about there. And with 110, put up a bunch of internationals there and that's covered then also, don't need HD to keep the FCC at bay.

12. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    As I understand it, there is a limit to the number of PPV slots D* can shed because many of those slots are also used for Sunday Ticket Superfan games and other sports packages when the need arises. All things considered, I personally suspect that D* would rather shed less PPVs than have been estimated than more. The more channel additions, the less PPVs available on weekends, the less revenue for DirecTV.

13. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    They don't really have a ton of space on 110 and 119. 110 has 3 transponders and 119 has less than half the transponders at that slot. On top of that there was and still is other content than the mpeg2 HD channels on 119. The spot channels and spanish channels on 119 aren't going anywhere so you aren't even freeing up all space that is there. Compared to the 4 full allocations between 99 and 103 the aprox half an allocation between 110/119 isn't much.

Looking at http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1879857&postcount=86 there are 3 transponders at 119 that will be freed up when the HD shuts down. It shows HD content on 24, 28 and 32 that is due to be shut down.

All indications are 110 and 119 are destined to be used for Non core content and spot channels in some areas. The Spanish and other foreign channels should fit nicely on 110/119. Assuming the foreign content does move to 110/119 DirecTV will be able to use a Single dish for all their customers (sl5's for internationals and where it's needed for locals) and a SL3 with pretty narrow LOS requirement for most of their customers. LOS has been an issue in the past when customers needed 99 to 119 for full LOS. Personally I bought a SL3 LNB because I've lost LOS to 119.

14. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I don't think so. Those PPV slots have been there through the current MLBEI and NFLST seasons haven't they? Or am I mis-remembering some of the posts about this? (I admit to not following the week by week transponder analysis as much as I could have been).

15. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    The analysis was a conservative analysis that took into account the PPV HD that is always needed for any part-time needs.The approximate 22 number is a best guess at open slots and PPV HD that can be replaced while also having enough PPV HD to cover all part-time needs.

Since we already know that 3 are going to RSN's and D11 TP#1 could have two PPV HD but they usually just put special events there, then the number becomes more like 17.

Assuming I may have been off by a few due to maybe other needs, then it's best to think more like 14-17 free.

And they might not want to be 100% full anyway.

And this is just for D10 and D11.

They may decide to put numerous HD up on 101 once the legacy 9 and legacy DNS are turned off, and they move non-core content to 110 & 119.

I did re-review the analysis last night after all of the D11 transponder moves this week.

16. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I've thought about it but it's a very tough task.

In theory, if they turned off all of the MPEG2 HD on 110 and 119, they could move non-core content from 101 to 110/119 and free up all of that bandwidth on 101 for new HD.

But not sure they have 13 MPEG-2 HD channels worth of non-core bandwidth on 101 to move.

But if we really want 150 channels and D10/D11 can do 140 with 5 per transponder then it's gotta come from somewhere. :)

17. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Correct, I only estimated exactly how many PPV HD are needed to exactly cover the maximum part-time HD need. But this then leaves no other PPV HD during that maximum part-time HD need.

If they want that maximum part-time HD need plus also have PPV HD during those several hours then the estimate goes down.

18. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    119 has tons and tons of SD locals and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 119 also has most if not all of the Spanish package channels. And once they eliminate the MPEG2 HD off 110 and 119 they could migrate a lot of the international channels off 95 and onto 110 and 119. Thus those people that need international or SD locals off 110 and 119 get a 5 LNB dish, the rest the 3 LNB.

19. Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008
    "A large amount of discussion here lately has been about DirecTV being slow to add new HD channels and capacity seems to always be pointed to."

Capacity isn't keeping new national HD's from rolling out. There may be several reasons involved .... prortracted negotiations, DirecTV figuring the best way to recoup the costs of new channels, new national HD being a lower priority on the DirecTV corportate list of priorities, etc. Maybe a combination of these factors, but not capacity. There's room.

Jeff

20. HDRoberts

HDRoberts Godfather

Dec 11, 2007
    If there wasn't much space there, Direct would be glad to give it up. Dish would sure be glad to have it. But in reality, 3 TPs is a lot of space in the sky. Dish puts 7 MPEG4 HDs to a Ku TP. Even a conservative 5/TP would give DirecTV space for 15 CONUS HDs, based on Sixto's post, nearly doubling the open space they currently have.