1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg2,Mpeg4,5LNB...huh?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by unclduey, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclduey

unclduey Cool Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Hi all, I was just looking for a quick rundown on the new stuff on HD DTV. There seems to be pieces out there but could someone who knows whats happening just lay it down plain and simple.

I am in Seattle and getting HD locals in April. Is that mpeg 2? or 4? Will I need the 5 LNB dish? Will my HR210 still record and receive all HD programming including the new HD locals? will my H10 only get Mpeg2 and not Mpeg4? but whats broadcast in Mpeg4? whos on second?

Thanks to who can do it!

2. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    HD locals are all mpeg4 and you need the new dish and a new receiver. All your old equipment will work with the new dish so you can keep it. No old equipment will get the new locals BUT all other new HD stations like TNT will be in mpeg2 until it's shut off. My opinion is this will be years away (every box would have to be switched out to shut off mpeg2). Others say 1 year. you have to decide. Only abc/cbs/nbc/fox are mpeg4 local. That's why i got OTA, to get wb/upn/pbs and even others as a bonus.

No, who's on first.

3. unclduey

unclduey Cool Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Thanks for the response. Looking like I will keep my OTA until The HD DVR hits the shelves. I get a real good OTA signal on all except the local NBC channel, so maybe I will spend some time to relocate it now.

4. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    I get good OTA reception too, so I'm sticking with my H10 for now.

5. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    anyone with good ota won't benefit a bit from the new mpeg4 locals. Unless the dvr is fantastic and has all those new features they promised in their webcast today

6. chewey

chewey Legend

Jul 28, 2004
    Is the H20 MPEG4?

7. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    yup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.