1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

MPEG2 -> MPEG4 Transition Discussion: HD Theater

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Stuart Sweet, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is the discussion thread for HD Theater's MPEG-4 transition. Please log all issues, indulge in gleeful exhortations, and give your suggestions!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Please commence discussing!

3. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    Still a blank screen

4. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    I re frame from judgment since the shown movie isn't in HD.

5. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    Disc. HD Theater working here

6. digitalfreak

digitalfreak Legend

Nov 29, 2006
    Does the PQ look any different from the MPEG-2 version?

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    On Sunrise Earth, I could see greater detail and less graininess especially on panoramic shots.

8. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Absolutely! Much greater picture quality!

9. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I also switched back and forth for Sunrise Earth and the difference was definitely notable with a sharper, crisper picture. :)

10. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    It looks better to me, but not as much as some of the other channels. I think their shows are mostly mastered in MPEG2.

11. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I think it looks quite a bit better than it was.Still watching.

12. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    Sitting 6 feet from my 42" plasma I could not tell any difference. Maybe a bigger screen, being closer, or having LCD might be a different story for others. Must remember MPEG4 codac will mean more HD down the road. Will have to "curb my enthusiasm" for a few more weeks.

13. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    The challenge with doing "comparisons" are that different people have different equipment, and more important....image quality is dependent on the quality of the original source material, which varys.

14. ChrisPC

ChrisPC Godfather

Jun 16, 2003
    I had to look right at my 37" LCD from a few inches away to tell a difference, and that was only on fast moving scenes.

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Yes but if you can see it at all, it means the picture experience will be better overall. Sometimes I cannot quantify it but I can see that some pictures just look more "real" so I look at specific things to see if the quality is better. Text or small details a noisy environment (like a crowd scene or panoramic view) will help determine PQ. Also, dark to light and light to dark transitions.

Most of the MPEG2 PQ was acceptable and if you were just watching material that was good enough to hold your interest based on the content, you wouldn't notice the PQ. But a lot of the MPEG4 stuff will make you sit up and take notice. An example on ESPN2 this morning was Mike and Mike. A lot of the ESPN studio stuff looks artificial but the details seem there. This happens on my Comcast hookup as well. But this morning, it looked like Golic was sitting in my living room. Much better than I anticipated.

16. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    i hope u had alot of donuts n bagels.

17. CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I'm pretty sure HD Theatre was changed back to 1920x1080 after Malone got control. So it was pretty good for MPEG2 via D*, hence not a big leap with MPEG4. Just a better bitrate.

18. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Understandable but if someone is switching back and forth between the channel in the 70's and the Mpeg4 channel, on the exact same equipment, and notices a difference then I'd say there is a difference.

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    I still think its very close to the same on both channels....I compared them via 2 sets - 1 on one channel and the other on the new MPEG4 channel for the same program at the same time.

I can see a bit more difference on ESPNHD than on HD Theater.

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Not to knock your test but comparing using 2 sets isn't the same as comparing using 1 set. Yes, you'll see differences in quality when comparing channels using 2 sets, that's a given. However if you see differences comparing channels using the same set, same dvr then I'd say it's the channel that made the difference.

As far as comparing ESPNHD to HD Theater I can see where you'd see more difference with ESPNHD. HD Theater already had a pretty good picture, ESPNHD did not.