1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg4 locals better than OTA on hr10 250..how?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by newsposter, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    for years I had my wife record her SD soap OTA to get a better picture. Today she tried the soap on the HD mpeg4 local. She said it was so much better. As she deleted the show already, I cant confirm.

But assuming it's right, how can OTA be worse than the satellite feed?

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but you cant view or record mpeg4 locals on an HR10, do you mean she compared them on the HR20?

Also, You said SD soap OTA, did you really mean HD soap OTA? Mpeg 4 locals in HD from SAT will always look better than SD locals via OTA. But you cant get SD locals OTA with an HR2X series dvr...

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    How is the HR10 connected, and how is the HR20 connected? Maybe that's the difference.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Any chance she recorded the SD subchannel rather than the HD main channel?
    Or the HR10 is set to pillar and HR20 set to stretch? (Or the reverse?)

Cheers,
    Tom

5. tony4d

tony4d Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    lol, is his post a riddle?

6. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    Ok to be clear:

all connections are HDMI to a 57 inch hitachi rptv crt

For years she's watched her SD soap over OTA so the people 'dont look fat'. The hitachi does introduce a bit of bloat on the SD of course but i guess most tvs do the same. She doesnt mind the bars for OTA. I'm proud that i got her to record everything possible OTA ( oprah, rachael etc) and we even watch survivor etc OTA because it's better than dtv's crappy SD locals.

Yesterday, and i dont know why she would even try this but she did, she told me she watched her soap on the hr20 HD channel and it was much better than the OTA on the HDtivo.

Of course today i will tell her to save the program before deleting it so i can compare the two.

I was just wondering if there was a technologically possible reason a signal beamed into space and back could be better than me picking up the 'original' signal 40 miles away?

7. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    If I understand it right. Your comparing SD locals (OTA) with HD locals(DirecTV).
    HD channels SHOULD always better then SD.

8. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003

Ok ill try again.

On HDTivo i use an antenna to pick up the digital channel (HD) from philly and her soap is an SD soap. We watch everything possible (SD OR HD) on the HD channels regardless of source material.

She told me she used the HR20 to watch the SD soap on the mpeg4 HD philly channel.

in theory, i thought OTA was always going to be better than mpeg4 HD locals. Or at least equal.

So since she is saying the HD mpeg4 station on Hr20 is better than OTA HD on the HDtivo, (SD material) i was curious how that could be?

I assure you i will watch tonight as long as she remembers not to delete the show on both units.

9. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It could just be that the HR20 offers a better PQ than does the HR10.

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    To send out the MPEG-4 HD local, DirecTV gets the MPEG-2 OTA local and re-encodes it to MPEG-4. Since both compression schemes are lossy, the MPEG-4 local CAN'T be better than the MPEG-2 local, unless there are other issues like interference on the OTA local, the calibration on the two inputs to your TV are different (the most likely reason) or the HR10 has a problem somewhere.

11. tony4d

tony4d Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    I don't know for sure, but aren't most HD locals from directv mpeg4 now? Furthermore, haven't people said the mpeg4 locals have very good PQ? If that's the case it could be better.

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes, but they start out as MPEG2, the same feed as OTA. Therefore it can't be better. I still think it's the HR10 vs HR20.

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Have you tried OTA on the HR20? Then compare and see if MPEG4 is still better than OTA. That would take the differences between the HR10 and the HR20 out of the eqation. Otherwise, your comparison is skewed.

14. wagman

wagman Legend

Jul 11, 2007
    I agree,
    You are comparing the proverbial apple and orange. Using the same equipment is the only way to tell if there is a difference in the actual delivery of the program. It may well be degraded by the HR10 itself (somehow).

If there is no difference when comparing OTA with SAT feed on the same machine, you will have your answer: The HR10 is (was) the culprit, and you can freely record from either source (on the HR20).

If they are different, you equally have your semi-answer: there is a difference in the signal or the Hr20 handles the signals differently or both. In any case, you will know whether tis best to record from one source or another (on either the HR10 or the HR20).

wagman

15. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003

16. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    nope, didnt do that yet...dont have a 3 way splitter handy and am worried about loss of signal. Am getting new preamp for antenna later this week then will buy a 3 way splitter for in back of the 3 units

17. wagman

wagman Legend

Jul 11, 2007
    just remember: you don't want a diplexed OTA cable going to the HR20 (to the HR10 is fine for diplexing), you want a strait run from the antenna.

wagman

18. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    yes new dvr is totally independent off old tivo/3lnb setup. (he gyped me out of a m/s by doing it that way instead of hooking them all together but in hindsight that is good since i have new dish/lnb/tuner issues).

and the OTA is totally separate leading to the back of my stack then split and 3ft cable to each tivo. I had issues with a bad m/s and diplexing when the terk when bad so just drilled another hole in the floor :)

19. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    well i cannot see the difference..if she can, then she can at least learn the unit and teach me how to use it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.