1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg4 up and running

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ruesch37, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruesch37

ruesch37 AllStar

Sep 14, 2006
    As of today Madison, WI locals are available in HD on FOX, NBC & CBS. Great news for sports lovers!!!

2. EidolonGG

EidolonGG Mentor

Jun 9, 2006
    WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    I just noticed! Sweet! No channel 27 (ABC) yet. Hopefully it will be soon.

4. EidolonGG

EidolonGG Mentor

Jun 9, 2006
    Ahhhh crap I din't notice that till AFTER I hooked up my stuff. Now I'm going to miss college football and Lost in HD for a bit with Dolby Digital - sonuva!!!

5. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    The guide currently shows each channel (SD and HD). Will it eventually only show the HD local channels?

Also is there a better way to tell the difference between the two. Like on OTA it should it as channel 3 and 3-1. It's a little confusing, mostly when HD stuff isn't on.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The first one in the guide will be your MPEG-4 Local

I have my favorites set to hide the SD versions of the channels.
    The favorites take effect in the guide and channel changing.

Also... the MPEG-4 should be listed with the Station Name..
    For example Fox-32 in Chicago say WFLD under the channel number for the MPEG-4.

7. Badger

Badger Legend

Jan 30, 2006
    Way to go D*! Seems like the Madison HD locals are up a little earlier than I expected. I'm waiting till spring to get my AT9 and HR20 though. Won't be missing anything because I get all the Mad City locals OTA 56 miles north of the city. :)

8. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    Thanks Earl. I'll have to toy around with setting up the favorites. I haven't had time yet.

When my installer came about 3 weeks ago, he said Madison HD locals would be available on Oct 27th. I just said "Oh really." figuring he had no clue what he was talking about. Turns out he was pretty close. :)

9. Zamps

Zamps AllStar

Sep 17, 2006
    I just checked my guide and it says the station name for both channels. :confused:

I can already hear my wife when she gets home "Why are there two channel 47s?" :lol:

10. jman8382

jman8382 New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I can see a difference in the MPEG-4 from the MPEG-2 OTA. I did a side-by-side comparison with my Samsung SIR-TS360 D* reciever and OTA and the HR20 and the MPEG-2, as expected looked better. The big difference seemed to be that the MPEG-4 picture would get jittery. I am guessing this is due to the compress/decompress. As the stations just came out however, they may improve.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Curious, are you seeing the 'jittery' picture on all the MPEG4 channels or just NBC and CBS but not FOX? Also, if you see it only on NBC and CBS is it only on video based material and not film or both? Thanks

12. EidolonGG

EidolonGG Mentor

Jun 9, 2006
    Any ETA on ABC HD?

13. EidolonGG

EidolonGG Mentor

Jun 9, 2006
    Oh also, any word on what sats and transponders the Madison HD locals are coming in on?

14. ruesch37

ruesch37 AllStar

Sep 14, 2006
    Kind of strange they don't have ABC in HD because Charter does. On the bright side we get FOX in HD which Charter does not carry.

15. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  16. matto

matto Banned User

Sep 1, 2006
    it looks like you're missing Hawaii from your list, Chris. I think they're already lit.

17. EidolonGG

EidolonGG Mentor

Jun 9, 2006
    I agree... Charter sucked big time. I've been running OTA on my H20 as the primary reciever so I can watch my network HD shows and football on the big TV, but today I switched the HR20 to the primary TV.

When I had Charter... yeah the lack of Fox in HD angered me because of the NFL games (Tho now I have sunday ticket) and some of their shows I watched.

Until OTA is enabled on the HR20 I'll just watch ABC HD stuff on the secondary HDTV I have in that room, but still somewhat disappointing.

18. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Time to break out the cheese? :D

19. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Honolulu is off the 99 satellite, but only in standard definition at this time.

20. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I live in Marshfield, north of Madison about 125 miles NNW. Would the spot beam from either Madison or Green Bay stretch this far? And if so would this qualify me to get the HD locals as nearby locals? Supposedly the Wausau-Rhinelander area won't get the HD locals until the end of 2007 the installers told me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.