1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

mpeg4

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Kali05, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kali05

Kali05 AllStar

May 20, 2005
    does anyone know what day they expect to announce change to mp4? anytime soon wanna buya 322 reciever should i buy now or wait?

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper DBSTalk Club

Dec 10, 2002
  3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unless you want HD, the 322 will be fine for at least the next year.

JL

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    JL gave you pessimistic estimation, I would be optimistic and would say you have 2 or 3 years before SD swap will completed; actually I think it will take more then 3 years.

5. trido

trido AllStar

Nov 7, 2004
    Any guess as to how the swap out for 411 box MIGHT work.

Meaning they said last nite some 411 will be ready soon, Does that mean for NEW HD installs or will they swap with exisiting customers who have 811?

Or who knows at this point?

thanks

Trido

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    811 people who need MPEG4 for some new channels will likely end up with a 211.
    Early adopters may get a 411, which is identical in function.
    Mark: Our first receiver is rolling out in the next week or two, it was - for some of those who follow the chat rooms and have seen it at some of our trade shows it was called the 411 and some 411's are going out the door here very quickly. But over time we are coming out with a new series and it is going to be called the 211.

The 211 and 411 are basically replacements for our existing 811 and have basically the same feature set - maybe a little bit upgraded on the connectors, but fundamentally ... a replacement for the 811.

Dan: We will be making some announcements on existing customer programs in the very near future. I'd tune in to the Charlie Chats for that. And also some announcements on additional HD programming.
    JL

7. hammerdown

hammerdown Cool Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Did they just forget to mention those with a 6000 or a 921? Those boxes won't get any new mpeg4 channels either, and will need to be replaced.

Hammer

8. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    According to there Tech Chat last night, the Mpeg 4 is a long way down the road for now. They appear to be backing off of Mpeg 4 for there Super Turbo system they have already. They claim Mpeg 4 won't be that cost effective right now. If you really are sold on Mpeg 4 go with Directv, they are already rolling there Mpeg 4 receivers out the door.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I would judge on content, not technology. E* is planning more content. I suspect that in the long run E* PQ in 8PSK Turbo will be better than D* PQ in MPEG4. E* has the bandwidth advantage.

JL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.