1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mrs Shadow says: "TBSHD should have their HD License Pulled!!"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Stuart Sweet, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I know that this has been mentioned before, but TBS HD is so inconsistent in their HD presentation!

Much of the programming is straight stretchovision, some is anamorphic, and very very little is true widescreen.

This station consistently lists programming in HD that simply isn't.

So much so that Mrs. Shadow believes they should have their HD license pulled.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Here Here. If they would just stop labeling it HD, I could stand it a lot better. They will just confuse people, and they are completely inconsistent with everyone else. All the other broadcasters for the most part leave off the HD moniker when in doubt, and they never add it to everything.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The wife watched "Enough" with Jennifer Lopez this afternoon, I walked in and thought she was tuned into Sumo wrestling.

4. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Other than baseball, what does TBS have that was recorded in HD in the first place? Its mostly reruns from the pre-HD era.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    JaLo's posterior in 16:9 and Stretch-o-visioN? You would sure as hell
    need a W-I-D-E-S-C-R-E-E-N set to fully display that first-class ass!

:lol:

6. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    There is no excuse for TBS to run movies in stretch-o-vision. TNTHD has been around for at least three years now, and they run (mostly) HD movies. Obviously someone over there at AOL Time-Warner knows how to acquire HD movies. This is just pure laziness. If they at least played movies in HD, I would let the Seinfeld, King of Queens, etc being in stretch-o-vision.

TBSHD is maddening, I almost would prefer they didn't go HD at this point (well I'm obviously glad they did for the playoffs).

Does anyone know, has ANYTHING other than baseball been in HD?

7. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Movies. Also, Frank Calendio's show should have been shot in HD. The commercials are in HD, but the show isn't.

8. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    my wife and I fully agree with mrs shadow

9. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Absolutely!

Some of what they broadcast is absolutely horrible.

Mrs. Shadow knows!! :D

Mike

10. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I recorded "For Love of the Game" on USA today to watch later as I like the movie and never viewed it in HD. USA aired it in Hi-Res 4x3. I have to give them credit because is was OAR for the version they broadcast. Why can't these networks get a hold of the theatrical versions and not the edited for your screen versions? Are they in short supply? Do they cost more? I don't fully understand this.

11. Jimbo2

Jimbo2 Legend

May 9, 2007
    The NBA is in HD

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The NBA isn't on TBS. It is on TNT.

TBS did do the first run of the Frank Caliendo special and the Ellen Degeneres variety show in HD.

Haven't seen anything since.

Maybe the license has already been revoked.

13. ben arnold

ben arnold Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Maybe they should be like VH1 and MTV and just never have anything in HD. Stretchovision or otherwise.

14. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Stretch-o-armophob = :)
    I got no problems with them making non-HD look so, even if it risks me not being invited to the Shadow home for dinner.

15. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    But many of us don't believe it does that, at all.

16. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    This station is so horrible I've had to delete it from my favorites. Why, why, why do people think they need to fill that additional 20% of their screen by making 100% of the picture ugly?

I can somewhat understand why some people do this, but I'll never understand why the network itself feels the need to transmit something that every single widescreen set sold can do on it's own. And alienate HDTV owners who actually care about picture quality. I spend a lot of time watching the HD channels that are broadcasting in 4x3, just because the picture is so much better that what I used to watch on the SD counterpart. But that's not an option with TBS because it's difficult to undo their stretching.

It's not surprising that's there's so much confusion on HD when the broadcasters themselves can't even figure it out.

17. SFjr

SFjr AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    Plus they flash the 'Available in HD' before shows like 'The Office' and 'Frank TV'. What a joke...

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Don't sweat that, we welcome all opinions. I know that some prefer the stretched look, just fine with me. I just wish that the guide were tagged [SoV] or something so as not to get our hopes up.

19. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Ditto, Mrs. Shadow.

20. jimsch42

jimsch42 New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    It's bad enough that I have to use the receiver to stretch SD broadcasts (which I do not do because it looks horrible, my TV does a much better job but that's for another topic) but for the signal to be broadcast stretched is completely asinine. SD programs should be broadcast in SD...Period. The person watching the program should be able to decide whether or not to stretch it, crop it or leave in SD AR. It irritates me to no end when there is a show or movie on that I cannot watch because it looks like so much crap and I have no control over it whatsoever. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.