1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV and DECA Setup - Please Help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by DFul4d, May 22, 2010.

1. DFul4d

DFul4d Cool Member

Aug 21, 2008
    So after about four hours with the technician and two hours on the phone with DirecTV, my system is still not working properly.

Here's the rundown. I had an HR20 in my living room and an HR21 in my media room. I wanted to add a dvr to the bedroom, so installer brought an HR24. Installer suggested installing HR24 in media room (since router is located in there) and move the HR21 to bedroom. He also installed SWM8 system.

As of now, the HR20 and HR21 can see each other and share recorded programs. However, neither one can connect to the internet. They are setup the same way with DECA adaptors. The HR24 can connect to the internet (CAT5 from router plugged directly into receiver), but it can't find the other DVRs in the multi-room status report.

I have tried several restarts and refreshes, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    1st remove the cat5 from the HR24..
    2nd it sounds like you don't have the extra deca to connect to internet..

HR24 wil NOT work as a bridge.. it's deca OR cat5 NOT both

3. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    1. Connecting an ethernet cord to the HR24 disables DECA so the other receivers on DECA can't be seen.
    2. The installer should run or connect an existing cable to a DECA adapter hooked to the router and SWM.

4. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    if you unhook the cat5 from the hr24 and reboot you should at least have MRV on all of them

5. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    The HR24 is not hooked up right. It has built in DECA modules and the rationale to put it near your router was wrong because it's not supposed to be hooked up to your router. There's should be an additional coax run from your SWM8 to your router for a DECA connection and a 18 volt PI.

6. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    1. Remove the Ethernet cable from HR24 and restart. It will now see the DECA-attached HR20 and HR21.
    2. The installer didn't install a 'Broadband DECA', which is another DECA adapter with a power supply, which bridges between the coax network and the Ethernet network. (And once you have that installed, you have to restart all the receivers so they're properly connected to the router/internet.)

7. DFul4d

DFul4d Cool Member

Aug 21, 2008
    You guys are awesome! Thanks! I have an extra line connection in my media room because I used to have dual tuners with no SWM system. Just to confirm, I need to unplug the CAT5 from the HR24, and then attach a Broadband DECA adaptor to the extra line and plug that into the router?

8. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    yep
    and a PI for deca to power it

9. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    Correct, just need to add a power supply to the DECA that's connected to the router.

10. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    And attach the other end of the second coax run to the SWM splitter. ;)

The installer could also just put a two-way splitter at the end of the HR24's coax and feed both HR24 and DECA.

The 'Broadband DECA' today is just another DECA adapter like on your HR20 and HR21, with a power supply instead of a receiver connected to the pigtail, coax to the SWM splitter connected to the F-connecter, and the Ethernet cable connected to the router. There will be a 'prettier' version eventually.