1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV bad playback after DCCK hook-up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by hdwannabee, Nov 11, 2011.

1. hdwannabee

hdwannabee Cool Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I recently moved and when the tech came out to hook up everything, he set up MRV and everything worked great. I have an H21, 2 HR22s, 2 HR23s, and 2 HR24s. I did not realize at the time that he did not hook me up to the internet.
    So when I called D, they told me I had to order a Directv Cinema Connection Kit, which I did and I connected it today.
    I was able to access Directv Cinema without a problem, but now when I try to view a program over MRV, it plays back very choppy. That is, it plays for a couple of seconds, then pauses, then continues. It is really unwatchable. I have tried and repeated this from different receivers and playing a program from different playlists.
    Any idea why connecting the Directv Cinema Connection Kit would have such an effect on MRV playback?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Since it works here fine for me, I wonder what your setup is like.
    Could you post a diagram of how and what is connected?

3. ts7

ts7 Mentor

Nov 1, 2011
    I'm guessing before you added Direct Cinema that your TV network was isolated from your computer network. If you disconnect it does performance return to normal?

I'm guessing you are experiencing heavy network traffic on your computer network that is affecting the MRV.

4. hdwannabee

hdwannabee Cool Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Thanks for the replies.
    I will work on getting a diagram up in a little bit.
    I connected the DCCK up to one of my HR24s. I first wired it via ethernet to my router. But since I was having the MRV problems, I disconnected the DCCK from the router. With it just connected through the coax (not to internet at all) I still have the MRV playback problems.
    I then activated the wireless setup on the DCCK, internet OK again, but still problems with MRV.
    I am beginning to think it may be how the installers set up the coax distribution. I will take a better look at it and post a description later today.

5. hdwannabee

hdwannabee Cool Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Here is a rough drawing. 4 wires coming down from the dish to the SWM. 2 coax coming from the swm to the wireing cabinet. 1 goes to the power inserter (I think), the other goes to one of the 1x8 splitters which has 4 DVRs coming out of it. There is another coax coming out of the power inserter which goes to the other 1x8 splitter which feeds the remaining boxes.
    Sorry the sketch is not very good.

Attached Files:

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You haven't showed where the CCK was added.
    You look to have a SWiM-16, with 2 outputs.

You might go to the HR24s and run a coax test from the front panel, by pressing the guide & > at the same time. [might take a few tries to get the menu]. Select coax, and list the results here.
    Next run the PHY MESH test an post those too.

7. hdwannabee

hdwannabee Cool Member

Jul 15, 2008
    The CCK is on one of 4 the coax cables coming off of one on the 1x8 splitters. It is between the splitter and the HR24.
    I will try the test and see what it shows.