1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MRV Beta Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bustert, Mar 18, 2010.

1. bustert

bustert Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    I have 3 HR 20's (one with external drive) on my LAN and all work for MRV, but not very well. Some recorded programs viewed on a remote HR, either have audio dropouts or complete playback stutter. It may be that non HD works better than HD recordings, I've not completely verified that yet. Playback on the unit that recorded is fine.

Is this an indication of my LAN being deficient or that the MRV system is not debugged? My understanding is that since it was offered to me with the equipment I have that it should work.

I'd appreciate any information and assist on this.

Thanks

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    First off, what software versions are your HR20's running? If they're still on 0x395, it'll get MUCH better with 0x3A8. Second, what is your network infrastructure like? A description of the hardware and topology would help.

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    From everything that I have seen and read...........

You are using the BETA version and it will eventually turn into a $3/month extra. At that time, MRV will only be supported by Directv if you use their DECA set-up.
    You can use your ethernet set-up, but it won't be supported.

4. bustert

bustert Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    I have the 3A8 version.

5. bustert

bustert Mentor

Sep 14, 2007
    My network setup. I'm not a techie in this regard but this is what I know.

A 2WIRE wireless router from the phone co, far from there is a netgear F 5608 8 port switch.

I have a Sonos music system which requires one ethernet connection and then it sets up its own wireless net to the other 5 units I have. Into the backs of these Sonos units are ethernet ports for adding other devices which I have done with the 3 HR 20's. One of the 3 HR's is connected to the Sonos with the direct ethernet connection, the other two are attached to wirelessly connected Sonos units.

Do you think direct ethernet connections would make the difference to a fully usable MRV? Is it worth it to run all the cat 5 if Directv wants us to use the DECA coming out?

Thanks

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Yes, it certainly does. Most people have decidedly mixed results with most forms of wireless, even 802.11n, but your results will vary based on numerous factors. Hardwired connections eliminate most of those issues.

Directv advises people not to invest in hardware for MRV, but to wait for the rollout of DECA. Since they expect to be charging people for it shortly, I expect DECA will be rolled-out en masse pretty quickly. So the short answer is, how much of a hurry are you in? :)

7. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I'm eagerly waiting for my area to get it. $99 install is nothing.

8. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Is Directv actually going to replace all the receivers in a household to make them all DECA? If the customer had to do it, it would be very expensive.

9. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Which receivers? If you have HR's, all they do is add the DECA adapter, right?

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you already have HR2X's or H21/23's then yes, it's only install DECA's on them and a DECA at your broadband connection (plus SWiM install if necessary).

11. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    10-4. I have the Two HR22's and a SWM3 dish, so it should be straightforward for the installer.

DECA at the router? So they'll have to have it wired to coax at the router?

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That's my understanding.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Options:
    coax to router and DECA mounted there,
    Cat5 to DECA, near receiver,
    DECA to wireless adapter to router.

14. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006

10-4. Thats the beauty, for me, of the $99. I'll let them figure that out ;)

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    $99 + $50 service call + 1 year commitment [just so you know].

16. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    1yr commitment on top of $149, plus I already pay for the repair plan. Now I'm gonna start calling BS.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    :lol: so this is a repair? :lol:

18. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Whoops, meant $3/mo for MRV.

I guess if all the gear is included, its OK, but it ain't great. I may try and work with them, especially since I sub to Premier and do pay for xtra crap. The $149 doesn't bother me as much as as the xtra year. Kinda of a crock of...

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I understand, but have to say the parts are at cost, close to cost, or even below cost, depending on what you need, so this has to be offset with you staying around for a while.

20. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Well, if you are already under contract is that an ext., or only for folks without contracts?

As much as providers screw you with contracts nowadays, I wish theyd give two options. One for those that will pay face value, and one for those that wont. If it was $249, I'd rather pay that than get another 12 mo's. Almost makes you question if the intent is to recoup costs or to potentially get more money out of you. I think the latter with tv providers and cell companies.